Beebase registration is insecure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob D.

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Went to look at Beebase registration today and found they are using a plain HTTP/HTML form to enter your personal details. No attempt at encryption or security.

No way am I scattering my address and phone number to the winds as plain text.

Feels like a flamingo up as they talk elsewhere about banking level security. Not that that is saying much. Many bank sites still vulnerable to Poodle.

Yeah login may work. It's using SSL and they've even prevented the Poodle downgrade.

I'm talking about initial registration to get a login ID. The page where they ask you for your address, phones numbers, inside leg measurement etc.

Yeah login may work. It's using SSL and they've even prevented the Poodle downgrade.

I'm talking about initial registration to get a login ID. The page where they ask you for your address, phones numbers, inside leg measurement etc.

email them and ask them why it's not SSL!!!!

Read your 1st post properly now. :blush5:I can find the same details they want quite easily for me on the 192.com anyhow, so not a problem for me.

Must dash, I'm off to post a GPS data rich photo of my apiary on Facebook.............:spy:

email them and ask them why it's not SSL!!!!

Emailed them this morning. No answer yet, not even an automated ack.

Just spotted the "Forgotten password" page is likewise plain text. It's like they heard about security for passwords but don't think it's needed for all the other data.

Emailed them this morning. No answer yet, not even an automated ack.

Just spotted the "Forgotten password" page is likewise plain text. It's like they heard about security for passwords but don't think it's needed for all the other data.

I'm afraid it's like most websites, and the Information Commissioner, and Data Protection in the UK, is piss poor, and they do nothing, other than slap them on the wrist!

A Local University in Yorkshire, had a security breach, which left a Student Registration Site open for four years, student addresses, mobile telephone numbers, and any disability was revealed.

Information Commissioner, slapped them on the wrist, and stated it was not a significant breach of security, and the information leak was mild!

Many UK companies, use databases overseas, and email addresses have been hacked, breached, and ended up sold onto spam email lists, Marks and Spencers, one such company, Information Commissioner nor M&S could not give a flying ****!

it's only an email address!!!! M&S said! You'll just get more spam!

Use at least two email addresses and be very selctive about teh use of one of them...

I do that ...makes life much easier for deleting spam..

The Information Commission is as much use as the TPS.

Registration now upgraded

Went to look at Beebase registration today and found they are using a plain HTTP/HTML form to enter your personal details. No attempt at encryption or security.

Looks like Tuesdays "Scheduled Maintainence" included an upgrade to the registration page. It's now using HTTPS/TLS 1.2 for encrypted submittions.

I guess they read the email even if they didn't reply to it.

Whats to hide?

Once was the day when the LOCAL Bee Inspector knew most if not all of the beekeeperers on his or her patch......

Today ( at least down in Cornwall) we do not have a single Seasonal Inspector ( Vacancies have been advertised) and our Regional chap lives 2 counties away!

All will change when the leglislation changes..... bees are now "food producing stock".

Daresay a time will come soon when ALL beekeepers, even if you only have a small TBH for pollination...will come under compulsory regulation and registration.

As with pigs ... including "pet" potbellied... you will have to have a stock/herd number and registered place you keep it... and apply for a movement order to take it on holiday.. to stud... sell or sausage factory! ( not sure of terminology as SWMBO does it!)

Yes I would most certainly like to know of any major disease problem with bees in my area.... and the old SBIs did a really good job down here.

All the pros and cons of compulsory registration have been discussed before.

Registration is around the corner ( May 7th probably!!)

Meanwhile GCHQ are watching YOU!!!

Yeghes da

To say nothing of the nice men from the ministry knowing where all the hives are when/if SHB arrives and they come visiting all hives within a 16kn area with their torches ablaze ready to put your bees on their bonfire....no compensation offered. Or so I'm told.

Today ( at least down in Cornwall) we do not have a single Seasonal Inspector ( Vacancies have been advertised) ...

Not necessarily.
From previous years, it seemed to be civil service procedure to re-advertise some of the positions each year - and usually the incumbent is re-appointed.

Not necessarily.
From previous years, it seemed to be civil service procedure to re-advertise some of the positions each year - and usually the incumbent is re-appointed.

Unless someone has been appointed for ( Cornwall East Cornwall West and Devonshires) it seems the SBIs that we had, and have retired, have not been replaced. And they will be a very hard act to follow to boot!

As for flaming torches.... methinks that is mere scaremongering.

Yeghes da

Think what you like.
The last I heard was the contingency plan for any outbreak of SHB in UK would mean a 16km exclusion zone from discovery apiary with all hives and bees within that area being destroyed.

Think what you like.
The last I heard was the contingency plan for any outbreak of SHB in UK would mean a 16km exclusion zone from discovery apiary with all hives and bees within that area being destroyed.

Hearsay... much as with Varroa, also notifiable until 1996????????
............now pretty much everywhere.

I can not remember a Varroa knee jerk blitzkrieg then .... would not have done much to stop it.

Yeghes da

Hearsay...

This is the hearsay from the the NBU website.

If the assessment shows that the outbreak is isolated and eradication is practicable, all colonies in the affected apiary(ies) and the surrounding area that are infected, contact colonies in apiaries close by and identified feral bee colonies considered at very high risk to infection will be destroyed. In all other circumstances, i.e. if the SHB is established, then based on
present technical knowledge there would be no benefit from attempting eradication and instead a policy of containment to slow down the spread will be implemented through colony
movement restrictions and treatment of infected apiaries.
7. If the outbreak is widespread and therefore not containable, appropriate control methods and veterinary medicinal products effective against the pest in another country will be considered
and adopted, provided that they have been evaluated and judged to be appropriate and safe, and approved in advance by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD). In the absence of
any authorised products, approval will be sought from VMD to apply emergency treatments under the Veterinary Medicines Regulations.

Hearsay... much as with Varroa, also notifiable until 1996????????
............now pretty much everywhere.

I can not remember a Varroa knee jerk blitzkrieg then .... would not have done much to stop it.

Yeghes da

Suggest you read some of the fera literature on it. Google fera and small hive beetle plan. The pdf explains the options.

What reference if any is there to an exclusion zone with burning of apiaries?
When this pest arrives on our shores it most probably will be on the East coast, where much of the horticultural importation is brought in... most probably not in a consignment of bees... that would be inspected?

I and many other beekeepers will remain vigalent in the meantime.

I would not take any delight at all in scaremomgering.

Yeghes da

Back