Bee Vital Hiveclean

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenMurray

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Hope your all well, Does any one out there have any experience of using Bee Vital Hiveclean for varroa control successful or otherwise and if so does it only work with an open mesh floor?

Thanks

Ben

I use it....on both OMF and solid floors. The man who sold me it at the National Honey Show more of less has me convinced that it was a cure all and would deliver world peace.

Hope it works for you.

I use it....on both OMF and solid floors. The man who sold me it at the National Honey Show more of less has me convinced that it was a cure all and would deliver world peace.

Hope it works for you.

Do I detect that performance didn't meet your expectation. Is that has or had you convinced?

I think PH has it all pretty much summed up.

I serpently hope you give us your thoughts regarding it's effectiveness and price/performance. Of course if I was selling it, I would certainly recommend it. However . . . Thymol crystals?

I was talking to a beekeeper of 40 hives who told me he squirted a little across the top of each seam at every manipulation last year and he had no varroa nor did anythng else to treat against varroa..... also he got all 40 through the winter ..... I am looking for some!

I do think Hiveclean works on both OMF and solid floors. I think it works better than icing sugar. I use it is mite count goes above 2 a day at any time. I do use the normal methods too - thymol in form of Apiguard in Autumn and trickled normal strength oxalic acid (as opposed to weak Hiveclean strength) in the Winter.

This autumn I am going to try Hivemaker's recipe for a thymol mixture that you put on a block of oasis in the Autum after the honey comes off. It will be a lot cheaper that Apiguard. I have bought an elctronic balance to make sure that I get the dosing exactly right.

This is what I think anyway, but I am no expert!

I have heard they are going to sell it to the goverment for a cure for swine flu!:svengo:

Wow that is good snake oil!

I see Detol have added a bit to their ad saying it kills 99.9% of viruses,whats the .1% Swine flu :laughing-smiley-004

The goverment are now saying it is probably best if you catch this version of swine flu as it is very mild but will give body chnace to build up its immune system for if or when the full blown version comes out way.

I am off now to fiddle my works expences to claim for an all incusive holiday for me and the misses to mexico.

or maybe they will give it to me on the NHS?

Yes, Hiveclean can be used with the supers on... but make sure you don't get it in the supers, just in the brood box.

Bottle has arrived, not much info on the label.

Sorry to be a pain, but are you absolutely 100% sure this product can be used when supers are on ?

Some of my hives have 3 supers on with a nice early crop building, dont want to contaminate.

Taken from paynes

"It can be used at any time of the year as long as there is no honeyflow:"

Not to be used during honeyflow!

Last edited:
Yes, Hiveclean can be used with the supers on... but make sure you don't get it in the supers, just in the brood box.
Not to be used during honeyflow!
Paynesbeefarm.co.uk said:
It can be used at any time of the year as long as there is no honeyflow: Spring, Autumn or as a winter treatment.

Dangerous conflicting advice I'm afraid. Veg is correct. The absolute answer in the case of the question/concern expressed by Grizzly has to be a very emphatic NO. There is a real risk of contamination, which is clear in the statement made by Paynes.

In giving advice of this nature, ANY DOUBTS, should be expressed in order not to accidentally mislead which might lead to loss and other problems.

The moral of the story is perhaps to stick with what is best understood and use conventional products in the recognised manner and time-frame.

On the basis that BIs are now taking honey samples, are there any figures on contaminants found available either now or likely to be in the future?

Girzzly, I hope that you erred on the side of caution. :grouphug:

Jim, your conventional wisdom is serpently aposite.

Anyone out there wanting to buy a new improved type of smoker fuel that I am thinking of promoting? Only £13 per kilo, guaranteed to perform at least as well, or better than conventional materials.

I was talking to a beekeeper of 40 hives who told me he squirted a little across the top of each seam at every manipulation last year and he had no varroa nor did anythng else to treat against varroa..... also he got all 40 through the winter ..... I am looking for some!

If hiveclean is a weak solution of oxalic + other ingredients then it should not be used during any nectar flow or when you have uncapped honey.

Am i right in thinking this?
As it is being used by some as above, at every inspection.

The manufacturers said you could use it when there is a honey flow. They said it was weak OA. It says on the website you can use it at any time of year. Are Paynes Bee Farms competitors to Beevital?

Last edited:
Back