Bee trees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remain open minded as to whether it works or not, but I would have to point out that the James Randi Foundation still have their million dollars as no one has been able to prove the existence of ESP and Dowsing is one of the disciplines they will test for if asked.

I remain open minded as to whether it works or not, but I would have to point out that the James Randi Foundation still have their million dollars as no one has been able to prove the existence of ESP and Dowsing is one of the disciplines they will test for if asked.
Well ...it's not really surprising as the parameters they set were pretty ridiculous and very limiting:

" On April 1, 2007, it was ruled that only persons with an established, nationally recognized media profile and the backing of a reputable academic were allowed to apply for the challenge, in order to avoid wasting JREF resources on frivolous claimants.[105] "

Secondly:

" In 2015, the James Randi paranormal challenge was officially terminated due to Randi's retirement from, and thus lack of direct involvement with, the foundation. "

He was actually more interested in the paranormal .. claims of mediums that they could communicate with the dead and people who claimed they could read minds and communicate via ESP and the likes of people like Uri Geller and his spoon bending trick.

The on;ly dowsing incidents he was involved with was the 'Bomb dowsing' device - Sniffex - which comes under my definition of a charlatan based fraud ... The other one was someone who claimed they could identify playing cards sealed in an envelope with a pendulum ...

Dowsing for these sort of things is outside of the dowsing I've experienced of dowsers finding naturaly underground water sources and my own and others experience of locating lines of force within the earth's crust and I would accept they are of dubious veracity.

It's OK .. we have this dicussion at least once a year .... this one is more civilised than some of the previous ones ... it's a bit like religion ... you either believe or you don't. As long as we accept the opposing views there is nothing to hate here ... if you are on the fence it costs very little (apart from a bit a bit of humiliation or embarrasment if there are onlookers !) to try and see what happens. The rods will either work for you or they won't ... if they do it's a very strange feeling when you see them swing and cross.
I’ve never believed this sort of thing (still dubious) but many years ago my wife lost her wedding ring one Feb morning when we were washing a wheelbarrow load of turnips we’d just harvested to feed out goats and cattle. Bitterly cold water 😦 We wondered if she’d lost it in our field and as a friend had told us he had a metal detector we asked if we might use it - he handed us two welding rods bent into an L shape. Seeing our disbelief he told us to leave the room and placed a 2p coin under a large (8’ x 4’) rug. He repeated the test more than a dozen times and our rods always and only crossed exactly over the hidden coin. Never did find my wife’s ring (probably washed away down the yard drain) but I did discover a beautiful herringbone-pattern Victorian clay pipe drainage system laid very accurately under the sloping field. So, energy lines? Who knows? I couldn’t say either way.

So back to how they used to operate in the old days - when I was a nipper I never knew you could walk into a shop which exclusively dry cleaned to get your clothes done.
Around with us you either left them at various shops that worked as agents, or someone collected them from you at home and delivered the cleaned items back to you the following week.
Our village post office (Howdendyke) used to be agents for the Goole Steam Laundry and Dry Cleaners. Put tems in a pillowcase along with list of said items. Take to post office on Tuesday. Collect clean, ironed and wrapped in a brown paper bag on Friday. The post office and most of the village long gone and now a lorry park☹️

Ladies are to organise own event then?
Given what you've just written.... could well be preferable!!!
I'm sure you would be very welcome Fritillery, but you would need to bring you own rods as I'm very possesive about mine!

Not a bee tree, but looking back on some photos from last year, and had to do a double take on this eucalypt swarm that wasn't.😞IMG_20200224_131729805_HDR.jpg

So just some interesting things about beehives in trees. And yes any nest of bees is a beehive. It doesn’t have to be a man made box.
The magnakarta mention BEELINEING, I believe. Beelineing being the area of expertise in hunting beehives. In trees or otherwise. A chap by the name of Tom Sealy has written quite a bit about his way of hunting bees. I use a slightly different method to him. But his why is real interesting. My interest was originally hunting beehives. But you once an area was exhausted my hobby turned to investigating why bees in trees are better off than any other structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bake a good cake. ... my sausage rolls are also legendary ! It should be a good picnic with all the culinary talents in here .... and there's always Lidl's Bakewell tarts if all else fails !
I knew you would, Philip.
Is there no end to your talents?

I knew you would, Philip.
Is there no end to your talents?
I have lots of failings ....

My culinary skill was down to my mother ;... her general idea of cooking anything was to fry, boil, steam or roast it to the point where it bore no resemblance to anything remotely edible and her gravy was ... well ! ... let's not even go there. It was learn to cook to survive. My Dad could only cook egg and chips and I never managed to teach him to make a decent cup of coffee ...so... I was fortunate at school (because of my misbehaviour and sarcasm towards domestic science) to be consigned to the domestic science class for a year instead of my woodwork lessons ... it probably saved me although I did take a bit of stick from the rest of the class which was all girls ... it didn't hurt my woodwork as I used to spend every lunchtime in the shop and many evenings a week, amongst other things, building the headmasters aeroplane ....which eventually flew...

The only thing that my mum really could cook was pastry - her apple pies and mince pies and her cakes were really good and I learned those from her but Miss Tune was the one who took me in hand and taught me to cook everything else. Bless her .... I really enjoyed that year ...

I have lots of failings ....

My culinary skill was down to my mother
Mine are too but in a good way. My mother also taught me to sew and knit
I hated "domestic education" at school because from the outset I could cook well in advance of what we were ever taught and I got bored and truculent. As for sewing....fo heaven's sake, they were teaching us to make a gathered skirt when I had already made a proper tailored jacket worthy of Saville Row :cool:

Mine are too but in a good way. My mother also taught me to sew and knit
I hated "domestic education" at school because from the outset I could cook well in advance of what we were ever taught and I got bored and truculent. As for sewing....fo heaven's sake, they were teaching us to make a gathered skirt when I had already made a proper tailored jacket worthy of Saville Row :cool:
I can use a sewing machine ... again thanks to Miss Tune .. and I have an industrial one in the garage for boaty stuff but I could never even think about making clothes ... definitely a black art tailoring !

My father could not cook to save his life, he was honest about that - the result of being brought up in an agricultural/mining family with strict ideas about domestic boundaries - my grandmother used to polish his boots every day before he went underground!! He didn't want us to end up the same - neither did my mother so We were taught to cook from an early age - my mother's mother, a tailor by trade as well as a superb cook, used to look after us often which meant that by the time we went to secondary school we could all cook, sew and in my case, knit pretty well. When I worked on the cutters we had to cook our own meals so every officer (including the commander) had to spend one of their 'watch below' days as 'chef du jour' so we all vied with each other (well, most of us) to turn out the best meal.

Latest posts

Back