bee temperature

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
My hive is in the shade from about 3.30pm, today we have had sunshine all day with 18deg at about 6.oopm in the sunshine.
my bees seemed to stop flying as soon as the hive was in shade even though the air temp was quite warm, the hive is located on the only available space on the allotment so moving is not an option, so just wondering if this essentially means the bees lose a few hours work each day?

thank everyone :cheers2:

I dont know the answer if there is one to the question!

However, a few of my bees were flying around 7 30pm in the shade of trees. It has also just started spitting rain.

They were busy going in and out of the hive but did not see pollen coming in.

Also seen them walking on flight deck around 6am.
Cliff

I dont think it should effect them, the most important thing is the ambient air temperature. Also if they are getting the sun first thing in the morning, then they will soon be up and about to make up for it.

Arthurs apiary is in dappled or full shade all day and it never stops his bees ;)

Hehehe....I'll bet you'd have been camping at your plot given the chance since your nuc arrived. I envy you, nothing beats the arrival of your first nuc or colony and the start of this long learning curve. But try not to worry about them too much with the amount of sun and the forage thats about at the moment they'll be fine, just enjoy your bees. :cheers2:

regards

Roy

Latest posts

Back