Bee Suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
I have no doubt this topic has been beaten to death, but am STILL struggling to find a good quality suit.

I do not want to give bad press to any company's, as I may have just been unlucky, and my use is probably a little more extreme than most. It is recommendations (and why!) is what I need.

Although I would love to not have a beesuit or just a jacket, I have a lot of bees and therefore do a lot of beekeeping. I also perform a lot of hive movements, so the suit needs to be tough, and weighty enough to prevent grumpy bees not having too much effect and needs to withstand at least once weekly washing.

Once I have found the 'right' suit, I will buy several so I can use them in different apiary's and rotate them through the wash. This has so far not yet been achieved.

I started off with Sherriff style hoods. I have three of these bees suits:-

I had a tan one made out of lightweight material - The material split within a week (to be fair, varroa mesh can be sharp). The seams started coming apart within 3 weeks.

White Sherriff style number 1 - The mesh started breaking after a month, and almost every week new breaks would appear. If the mesh became folded, the mesh would break. The little darlings soon find their way in.

White Sherriff style number 2 from a different supplier - a couple of mesh breaks, but did not take long for the seams to go (2 months)

I also found that when taking really nasty swarms, and whilst trying to tame them, I would often get stings through the suit onto my ears. After a number of ear stings, I no longer like sheriff suits!

My first round veil suit lasted the longest. However, the metal rim pops out. This is the suit in which I mistakenly popped a lighter in my top pocket, and after a while, ignited and burnt a big hole in the suit. The material seemed to feel like a 'good' boiler suit quality (the type that is oil\acid proof), and therefore a harder material.

My second round veil suit from the same supplier, and disappointingly was of a lesser quality. Again, the seams split (they can't seem to handle regular washing). The metal ring also came out of this suit after a very short time.

My final suit came from Beetradex. a nice big tan airy round veil suit.
The mesh has a couple of holes (thanks to catching it on a hawthorn bush). The material seems quite hardwearing, but after a couple of washes, it started going fluffy, and bees absolutely hate it. Even hives with mild personality problems find it very easy to sting, and then come out in full force. Once this happens, my beekeeping day is over.

To summarise, I would like a round veil suit, that is hardwearing and tough enough to take abuse and can be washed regularly without it falling apart or going fluffy.
At the moment, I am repairing suits most weeks just to get by.

too much to ask for?

:thanks:

you don't say which suits have failed you - are they good quality suits from one of the two main manufacturers (you mention one in the 'style of' but not whether they were manufactured by.
I have a BBwear one and it takes a bit of a pounding - still going strong after five years. I do use the fencil veilstyles not the all round ones though

I have not tried one from BBWear. I tried to visit them at Beetradex, but struggled to get attention..

hhhmmm... shocking pink! Not the sort of colour for stealthy out apiary inspections. :)

how frequently do you wash? (your suit)

All I can say is that I am very surprised that your Sherriff suits have been a disappointment with seams regularly going....are you getting a big enough size??? ;)

I have tried suits from four different companies now and Sherriff are best of all. I don't do as much beeking as you, but I find them robust and the veil, (not a mesh as per most others, but more of a woven material) is superb for visibility. It's so good compared to all the other suits that I keep thinking that bee flying in front of me is inside!

I still much prefer the "fencing" style hood - for me it gives good visibility. I find that the round hoods either leave you vulnerable under the chin if the section below the lower ring is mesh, and if it is cotton, you have to look "up and over" the cotton. I also find that the ring veils get caught on twiggy shrubbery, hedges etc, a real pita.

A lot of people recommend wearing a baseball cap under a fencing veil to protect scalp, nose - and possibly ears? - I must be fortunate in still having thick hair, (and a thick head!).

Have you let Sherriff know that the seams are giving up? My first Sherriff smock lasted over 20 years, and then I only gave it up as I outgrew it! One day I will get back into it:rolleyes:

sheriff style! (fencing suit may be a more accurate description) not tried one from the company themselves.

I wear a baseball cap, but they still get the ears in the fencing suit... :bigear:

with the shocking pink suit!

Interesting the BBWear retro suit sizes recommendation is maximum height 6'2

I am somewhere between 6'3"- and 6'4" (without heels ;) )

I have no doubt this topic has been beaten to death, but am STILL struggling to find a good quality suit.

I do not want to give bad press to any company's, as I may have just been unlucky, and my use is probably a little more extreme than most. It is recommendations (and why!) is what I need.

Although I would love to not have a beesuit or just a jacket, I have a lot of bees and therefore do a lot of beekeeping. I also perform a lot of hive movements, so the suit needs to be tough, and weighty enough to prevent grumpy bees not having too much effect and needs to withstand at least once weekly washing.

Once I have found the 'right' suit, I will buy several so I can use them in different apiary's and rotate them through the wash. This has so far not yet been achieved.

I had a tan one made out of lightweight material - The material split within a week (to be fair, varroa mesh can be sharp). The seams started coming apart within 3 weeks.

White Sherriff style number 1 - The mesh started breaking after a month, and almost every week new breaks would appear. If the mesh became folded, the mesh would break. The little darlings soon find their way in.

White Sherriff style number 2 from a different supplier - a couple of mesh breaks, but did not take long for the seams to go (2 months)

... After a number of ear stings, I no longer like sheriff suits!

To summarise, I would like a round veil suit, that is hardwearing and tough enough to take abuse and can be washed regularly without it falling apart or going fluffy.

too much to ask for?

It seems as though you are confusing ALL "fencing veil" suits with suits from ONE specific and rather high quality manufacturer.
Sheriff actually make suits with either hat or fencing veil styles -- and they are interchangeable on the same suit (the same goes for BBWear's design).

A suit actually from Sheriff or BBWear will take an awful lot of wear and an awful lot of washing. The NBU's Bee Inspectors uniform (washed every day) is a BBWear suit.

I don't believe any manufacturer makes a hat-style veil that can be machine washed. One advantage of the fencing veil style is that good quality ones (eg real Sheriff or BBWear) can be happily machine washed. (My BBWear's care label says its OK for "industrial washing at 85C")
Those manufacturers also offer spare parts and a repair service.
AND both offer a made-to-measure service (£10 extra?) for those beekeepers that find regular sizing to be inappropriate.

All 'fabric' mesh used in veils is going to suffer if not treated with a modicum of care.
For bushwhacking in Hawthorn, you do need to be a bit careful - or else get one of the 'diver's helmet' types with metal mesh that some of the industrial american beekeepers seem to favour.

If you "do a lot of beekeeping", it makes sense to invest in a decent suit (or two) and possibly a spare veil. Two suits, three veils, all interchangeable, really should be enough for anyone!
As to colour, most folk should find one of the 10 or so colours on offer to suit their tastes.
Not sure whether Sheriff offer an Association discount. BBWear certainly do.
Shopping only on the 'bargain rail' isn't always the best method.

I also found that when taking really nasty swarms, and whilst trying to tame them, I would often get stings through the suit onto my ears. After a number of ear stings, I no longer like sheriff suits!

My first round veil suit lasted the longest. However, the metal rim pops out. This is the suit in which I mistakenly popped a lighter in my top pocket, and after a while, ignited and burnt a big hole in the suit. The material seemed to feel like a 'good' boiler suit quality (the type that is oil\acid proof), and therefore a harder material.

My second round veil suit from the same supplier, and disappointingly was of a lesser quality. Again, the seams split (they can't seem to handle regular washing). The metal ring also came out of this suit after a very short time.

My final suit came from Beetradex. a nice big tan airy round veil suit.
The mesh has a couple of holes (thanks to catching it on a hawthorn bush). The material seems quite hardwearing, but after a couple of washes, it started going fluffy, and bees absolutely hate it. Even hives with mild personality problems find it very easy to sting, and then come out in full force. Once this happens, my beekeeping day is over.

too much to ask for?

My round veil, 2 hoops in the veils, white suits came from ebay suppliers. Thirtyeight quid apiece if memory serves correctly. I wash one/wear one and have a tub to hand wash the veils. After 3 years use they are still going strong.
Both are cotton boilersuit type but one is a slightly finer material than the other. Both are sting proof so far. I do have a couple of fencing veils from Simon which fit straight onto the suit zip which I have used with the suits but wind sticks the gauze to the wearers face which makes stinging possible.
I anticipate sleeve elastic may be a problem if washed too hot but fine in a cool wash.
Hope this helps.

I will be shopping this weekend! (via shop (?) or interweb)

I popped out at lunchtime, and visited 1/2 a dozen colonys. One of which was a little tetchy.
They found a previously unseen split in the back of the veil and marched in.

the result, 3 stings on the back, two on the arm and 4 on the neck. My entire face looks as if it has been botoxed (it does not normally!... I can just about see now!)

as BBWear looks as if they make suits for short people (<6'2"), I will measure up and go for a 'real' sheriff.

thanks for your help!

Interesting the BBWear retro suit sizes recommendation is maximum height 6'2

I am somewhere between 6'3"- and 6'4" (without heels ;) )

I am 6'2" and phoned up BBWear, I was advised that I needed a L rather than an XL, on receipt it was a bit tight around the shoulders and crotch...my voice dropped a couple of octaves when I took it off.

Posted it back and an XL is on the way.....

BBwear do a bespoke service for a bit extra. I ordered one recently because I'm >6'2" and skinny. The fit is good but it's too early for me to comment on durability.

I only wash the hoods of my suits rarely, and on a much gentler wash than the rest of the suit. From what I've seen, mesh problems are the most common mode of failure for bee suits.

I have both Sherriff jacket, BBWear suit, and numerous others.

I've decided to continue with the fencing veil (Sometimes with a baseball cap) as hat sizes are always a little too small for my head - so it sits precariously on top, and tilts at inopportune moments.

The BB suit was second hand when I bought it a couple of years ago, and whilst far from 'good as new' it gets washed regularly (Veil rolled inside one of the sleeves) and keeps the bees out.

The Sherriff jacket I've only worn twice - once for an inspection, once for a recent show. Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell - I don't think I have quite the shape for it - as I can't pull it tight enough to stop bees coming up from my waist. It will be on the bay of E sometime soon. Interestingly, I would have probably bought BB at Tradex, but I too had trouble getting their attention, so went for Sherriff instead.

Both are here (Nr J18 M4) if you want to try for size before you buy mail order. Suit is too large for me at XXL (Did I mention it was cheap and second hand :icon_204-2:), jacket is L.

PM me if you want to pop over.

I have the retro style from BBwear in an XL.
Makes me look like a telly tubby, but needed it for the length in the arms and legs.
I too have a rather large head and the hat fits fine.
It's the wire hoop in the hat that's the problem when washing.
They have to cover themselves in case it should come loose and wreck your washing machine.

as BBWear looks as if they make suits for short people (<6'2"), I will measure up and go for a 'real' sheriff.

Ummm. AFAIK, BB will do a made-to-measure for any human measurements ...
Special cuts:

For those outside our standard size range we offer a made to measure service and are able to adapt our patterns to suit the individual needs. As these suits are individually hand cut there is an additional cost of £20 for a full suit and £12 for a half suit.
http://www.bbwear.co.uk/services.html

Pete I have the American ultra breeze smock. Awesome and knocks spots off anything I'd seen or tried previously. Pop in for a cuppa and have a look if your passing.

Latest posts

Back