Bee suit zips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can be found at Jaycotts.co.uk Slightly courser than my existing Sherriff.

I have always wondered why beesuits are not fitted with Velcro fastners... zips are a pain!

I've bought zips from jaycotts - getting someone to put them in is something else - they don't mind the zips down the front- the ones that hold the hood to the suit they hate ....

I've bought zips from jaycotts - getting someone to put them in is something else - they don't mind the zips down the front- the ones that hold the hood to the suit they hate ....
No big deal. Pin to where it was before and lose 5mm on the way around.

:iagree: My Mother in Law is a tailoress (actually made some clothes for princess Di) when SWMBO took my bee suit down to her in the hope she could replace the zip on the hood she, instead took ages and repaired the zip!!

BBWear (& I’m sure Sheriff) will replace/replace zips fastenings etc on their suits - just package up & return to them. Had to do this with my original suit, a zip went after 10+ years, did cheekily ask if that sort of thing was still covered by warranty ;)

I've found that Sheriff offer a repair service at a reasonable price. On one occasion they returned the suit, with the zip replaced, within a 3 days and, at no extra cost, replaced the veil which they noticed had torn.

I've found that Sheriff offer a repair service at a reasonable price. On one occasion they returned the suit, with the zip replaced, within a 3 days and, at no extra cost, replaced the veil which they noticed had torn.
That’s proper service for you. I almost look forward to my zip failing now.

I have always wondered why beesuits are not fitted with Velcro fastners... zips are a pain!
I bought ex-military boiler suits with velcro closures. Great. Cheap, easy to wash and thick material. You need separate veils, but not a problem.

My suit has a metal veil, which is great (except I keep stepping on it), but I found an issue where the zips meet. Sometimes when dealing with angry bees, they squeezed in. My wife kindly lent me her Bernina and I made a velcro flap to go over the zip closing area.

My suit has a metal veil, which is great (except I keep stepping on it), but I found an issue where the zips meet. Sometimes when dealing with angry bees, they squeezed in. My wife kindly lent me her Bernina and I made a velcro flap to go over the zip closing area.
Old Castle Farm suits have a flap like that as standard ... good feature.

Latest posts

Back