Bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been stung enough over the past few decades that I show no effect
roughly 5 mins after being stung. Each sting still hurts for a bit of course,
but some far less than others.

When I say "no effect", I mean that I need to look at my arm or hand
with a magnifying glass to find the sting site, as I have zero swelling
and zero pain.

Regardless, I keep liquid Benadryl in the glove compartment of every
vehicle, in every beekeeping tool bag, and so on. A swig of the liquid
can be swallowed by even a person who is in the midst of a bad
systemic reaction, and a single swallow can keep them stable from
15 to 20 mins, long enough to get to medical care, or get the ambulance
to the victim.

You just haven't lived until you've been stung 50 times in 30 seconds,
but on the other hand, when you have been stung 50 times in 30 seconds,
you don't WANT to live! ^.^

My reaction to strings are very much like described by James, just about none,and i get plenty most days during the active season. But stinging nettles i really hate those things,sooner have ten bee stings to one of those.

I have to be on my guard during the summer not for bee stings but for Horsefly bites from a field of horses by the hives.

My god do they itch for 3-4 days after.

Sting after effects

I got stung very badly 30 years ago. I hadn't shaved that day and had multiple stings on the throat. Couldn't tell the sting from the stubble. It put my wife off letting me keep bees for 30 years. I am one of those peolple that a mosie or horsefly will track down. Made seveal minor errors and got stung several time last year. I swell very quickly and following a sting on the ear had a face like a bulldog for a couple of days. I have tried Benadryl tablets and piriton. The swelling and itching don't really worry me but I do feel poorly. I usually blame the anti-histamines.

Do you think I will become more immune to the venom or am I heading for anaphalctic shock???

I am buying a new beesuit from Golden Bee products in the USA. I am tols these are worn by the fire departments in the Southern States to tackle Africanised Honey Bees and are as close to sting proof as possible. the plunging pound is really hammering me on the exchange rate but I hope it will be worth it.

I also think that being stung my bees from one of my colleagues hives is worse. Do differing strains have different strengths of venom??:grouphug:

Hi Brian,I was chating with the guy who makes the Golden bee suites a few weeks back.

He told me he has sent a few dozen to the uk know and everyone is very happy with them.

What are they like with the exchange rate today,?140 plus shipping ?

I think he has competition now from another family that is making a very similar suite.

Hi Admin

I have not been able to order mine as yet. I am awaiting delivery of a dollar bank draft. Susan the daughter of the founder will only take dollar cheques or money orders. I have spoken to her twice on the phone. Hurricanr Katrina wiped out her business and they are only just getting back on their feet again. She has quoted me $230 dollars plus $30 package and posting.
I found out about Goldrn Bee from an American forum. They have mentioned another similar suit but Golden Bee got the most favourable comments. I will keep the forum posted when I get my Christmas Prezzie about my birthday time in January.
Golden Bee telephone number 01-504=715-7947
e-mail Susan Lemoine [[email protected]]
address 4405 LAKE VILLA DRIVE, METAIRIE, LA 70002

THEUNIQUE MATERIAL IS SUPPOSED TO BE QUARTER OF AN INCH THICK BUT FULLY BREATHABLE!!!! Bees will need long stings!!!!

Do they not take Paypal ?
Maybe they should if they are getting uk orders.

As far as bee stings go i have been stung about 6 or 7 times and they all happened this year, not bad for 3 or 4 year with bees.

Admin the golden bee suits, do you think you could get a bit of a deal if enough members on here showed an interest through this site.

As far as bee stings go i have been stung about 6 or 7 times and they all happened this year, not bad for 3 or 4 year with bees.

Admin the golden bee suits, do you think you could get a bit of a deal if enough members on here showed an interest through this site.

I am sure we all could if we got a decent size order together,if they had been uk based I would of gone for a % discount for each forum member but being in the us shipping would be a problem.

i had the same problem when i bought my Permacomb, i had it shipped by boat from the good old USA and the shipping does cost a bit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back