Bee stings v Wasp stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is the chemisty in wasp stings the same as bee stings :boxing_smiley:
I know its mostly Protein and other things but has any body researched
them :grouphug:
Has any one extracted bees venom and use it as an anti venom like they do with snakes.
Its over to you:confused: :patriot:

I remember reading that one is alkali and one is acidic, cant remember which way round though :/

Bee and wasp venom carries proteins that are sufficiently different for allergies to be against one or the other only, not both.

Some people collect bee venom (using an electric plate that causes the bees to sting through a membrane) for treating arthritis and also for desensitising people who have become allergic.

G.

Having recently been stung by a wasp can state with authority OUCH, no swelling just really painful for the rest of the day. Unlike when our little ladies sting. Little pain, small amount of swelling & then the itch.

:iagree: thats correct, if you react to wasps you SHOULD not react to bees, as they are different

It's right and wrong- bee stings are alkaline as they have an alkaline added after prodution, a bit like bile from the bile duct in humans: but the main element is the mix of proteins, some of which are the same as wasp stings and some different.

Personally, I find wasp stings a lot more painful.

very different composition - take at look at the south american apitherapy sites where they list bee venom composition.

we have very fast nasty wasps here.

wasps dart in with a sharp painful sting that doesn't really come to much afterwards

the "full tank" bee stings that i've had feel like little electric pulses as they pump in then you have the delay before the classic red/hot/swollen/itchy reaction. 1 full dose can blow up half a limb.

Had a wasp in my bee suit yesterday. I was stung on my neck and down my arm before I managed to squash it. seven stings in all but only the one on my throat hurt the others were like a pin being dug in.
Bee stings, I think, hurt more. But thats me

Pete

I react to both wasp stings and bee stings. When stung by a wasp, I swell really badly resulting in huge blisters. When stung by a bee, it hurts more initially and then swells quite badly minus the blisters. And the itch!!!!

Wasps being related to ants stick you with formic acid - similar to a red ant sting.,bees have a two part component to the sting which combine to produce a chemically NEUTRAL venom.I read somewhere this venom is chemically identical to COBRA venom.The old treatment for wasp stings was the "blue bag" which is alkaline so opposing the sting acid.Other than anti-histamines to control the bodies MAST CELLS and prevent the release of HISTAMINE which causes the swelling and intense itching following a sting,I havent heard of any counter sting product.Rest assured though ,the more you get stung -the less you will react--unless of course you become allergic when you must get de-sensitised if you wish to continue to keep bees.

is it a diferent thing from person to person?? because i would rate a sting from my bees as about 4 times sorer than a wasp sting and i swell and itch for about 3 days from bee sting
but only slight swelling and no itch and over in 1.5 days for wasp

last year I got stung by something I didnt see, assumed it to be a wasp, no sting left in. Hurt like hell, it was just below my arm over my ribs. Felt like I'd been stabbed by a sharp hot needle. Hurt for a week although not so much after a few hours.

This year i've had 3 bee stings in the back of my neck, in one go, my fault. Hardly felt them accept for the itch which lasted for about a week.

after scraping sting sac away from the skin -One Ice cube on a sting site, one in your drink - best policy.

Latest posts

Back