Bee stings: expert information needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but speaking to my Doctor, the main thing to observe for are reactions that happen within a short time of receiving the sting.
My neighbour, a beekeeper for 3 years has recently suffered a very severe and life threatening anaphylactic reaction to a single bee sting on her forehead.
The anaphylaxis occurred 18 hours after she had been stung. She had 4 further anaphylactic reactions in hospital the final one 26 hours after the sting.

I always understood that a reaction would be within a short time of being stung and had no idea that there could be multiple reactions. Although apparently most unusual it is worth being aware of the possibility.

It's called biphasic or rebound anaphylaxis. Rare but does happen.

Unlucky to have first sting to the face. If you asked all the beeks here where the worst place for reactions, the face eould be in the top three. I got stung 3 weeks ago on my forehead hairline. Well i turned into something from star trek. My forhead was huge it swelled my eyes virtually closed. As it healed it seemed gravity pulled the swelling down through my face till i resembled the godfather. Try not to be afraid in future it was just bad luck with an extra dose of bad luck to get an infection. Points to remember that may not be common knowledge to non beeks. 1. I buprofen can make reaction worse, avoid it. 2. Not all antihistamines work best for bee stings, generally the drowsey ones are best. (To do with which drug is in formulation snd how it works on histamine response). A bad reaction as you explained does not equal anaphalaxis next time.

Unlucky to have first sting to the face. If you asked all the beeks here where the worst place for reactions, the face eould be in the top three. I got stung 3 weeks ago on my forehead hairline. Well i turned into something from star trek. My forhead was huge it swelled my eyes virtually closed. As it healed it seemed gravity pulled the swelling down through my face till i resembled the godfather. Try not to be afraid in future it was just bad luck with an extra dose of bad luck to get an infection. Points to remember that may not be common knowledge to non beeks. 1. I buprofen can make reaction worse, avoid it. 2. Not all antihistamines work best for bee stings, generally the drowsey ones are best. (To do with which drug is in formulation snd how it works on histamine response). A bad reaction as you explained does not equal anaphalaxis next time.

Gosh your reaction sounds horrendous!

Great information too... thank you!

Not that horrendous for me. Just for those looking at me lol. I rearranged work till i could see again and enjoyed the sun! The occasional sting is part of beekeeping and once you get past the fear at the begining its really no big deal. The hobby is most certainly worth it bee-smillie

Thank you to everyone's expert advice and shared experience but I have decided to head back to the doctor.

xxx

That sounds bad... luckily i have no reaction at all to stings no matter where they get me..just as well really i got stung in the ear hole a few years back and between the eyes last week..:spy:

I did try to post a photo for entertainment but cant figure out how to do it. Tech dinosaur here.

I had a lump taken off my cheek which I was 50% sure was an old sting it would heal then burst repeatedly I thought best get seen

I got stung ten times on my left arm a few days ago and apart from a few black marks, there is no evidence of this fact. A few weeks ago I was stung on the face, just under my eye, for those that didn't see it:

BeeSting by gorgon703, on Flickr

It happens.

Dare i ask sunnysideup how many wives youve had aka bluebeard :biggrinjester:

Back