Bee stings and how other bees react

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
Firstly - many apologies if this has been covered before but I would like to know other people's experiences.

When I opened my hive one bee came straight out and stung me on the front of the leg. I smoked it and removed the sting (or so I thought) but the next thing I knew there were a good twenty bees on the same spot. I know they do respond to one bee stinging you but is this normal to get so many?

Please don't respond with a 'for goodness sake this has been covered before' type reaction - I don't have time to trawl through all the other threads!

FB

If they are in that mood then yes this happens. When a bee stings you it releases an alarm pheromone that attracts other stingers.

If you carry your hive tool etc in a little bucket of washing soda solution then if they sting you on the hand you can give the area a quick wash after removing the sting. This usually stops them trying to sting you again on the same site.

It's a good job I had the time to answer it. I know this because I read it in a book and was also taught it on a course.

Yes, the sting site is awash with pheromones that say "sting here" and if they are all furious, that's what they'll do. When I get a sting on my gloves, I smoke the gloves for quite a while in order to mask the smell and avoid more kamikaze attacks.

The pheromone can persist for quite some time. When I got stung while mowing a while back, I got 7 in the back of the head. About 20 minutes later I was sitting in the garden, and a random bee whacked me again in the same place.

yes they produce a pheromone when they sting that is basically an alarm call to other bees that there is trouble. Smoking is one of the things you can do to mask this pheromone. I guess the number that gather depends on how many were in range of the pheromone. I have been told that the so called 'killer bees' produce lots of this pheromone when they sting, hence the very large numbers that can swarm and sting subsequently.

It's a good job I had the time to answer it. I know this because I read it in a book and was also taught it on a course.

nice one :hurray:

About 20 minutes later I was sitting in the garden, and a random bee whacked me again in the same place.

lol, that's a bit naughty, like it just saw you sat there and whacked you when you weren't looking ;) I think I got stung yesterday, but as I didn't even know, I assume the bees didn't either, they were nicely behaved for me.

I remember books and training courses, of course that was before t'interscape thingy.

PeterS your impecable time management allowing you to clear a window in your busy schedule to answer a query; and your diligent private study, so that others who cant be bothered to, dont have to, does you credit!

Always nice to see someone making an effort to self help before posting don't you think!

:reddevil:

Firstly - many apologies if this has been covered before but I would like to know other people's experiences.

When I opened my hive one bee came straight out and stung me on the front of the leg. I smoked it and removed the sting (or so I thought) but the next thing I knew there were a good twenty bees on the same spot. I know they do respond to one bee stinging you but is this normal to get so many?

Please don't respond with a 'for goodness sake this has been covered before' type reaction - I don't have time to trawl through all the other threads!

FB

Golly, I am jealous that you are so busy!

It took me some 30 seconds to hit the 'search' button and type in 'sting'. When I did so, one of the posts I found was one that I had done - and to which I got some very helpful replies:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5370&highlight=sting

Tip - always wear two layers on arms and legs so the sting can't get through, this is either a full bee suit over other clothes or other clothes under a jacket. My bees can't sting through thick white denim jeans, but they can sting through my jacket so I wear a shirt with long sleeves underneath!

Tip - always wear two layers on arms and legs so the sting can't get through, this is either a full bee suit over other clothes or other clothes under a jacket. My bees can't sting through thick white denim jeans, but they can sting through my jacket so I wear a shirt with long sleeves underneath!

I didn't think my bees could sting through jeans but they recently proved me wrong.
Try to keep yourself covered, an overall and wellies are good if you wear a veil over the top.
Cheers

Yes they can, especially if you're getting sweaty in hot weather. They seem attracted to perspiration and your clothes stick to you which makes it easier to sting through. I wear nitrile gloves but if there's a sweaty piece of wrist exposed and they're in a bad mood they go straight for it. Youch!

If you've been hit a few times it's worth washing your bee suit too to remove the pheronomes for next time.

Z

Last edited:
If you've been hit a few times it's worth washing your bee suit too to remove the pheronomes for next time.
Z

I often give the same advice,yet! I was stung on my back 4 days ago,following day I was hit again about an inch away from the first sting.

Maybe I should take my own advice and bung the suite in the wash..

Dont shoot the messanger but this is what I have been told.

Wasp types in the uk,the first make a paper nest that absorbs water,does not grow too large(the wasps) and is often found in attics/sheds ect.

The second type are larger and also will make paper nests that are waterproof,these are the ones you find in holes in the ground,they are 10 times more aggresive when the nest is disturbed.

I always carry a KFC handwipe # which I open and wipe the sting area with.. Confuses the **** out of the bees sense of smell.. so they don't recognise you have been stung..
# free with a meal..

I often give the same advice,yet! I was stung on my back 4 days ago,following day I was hit again about an inch away from the first sting.

Maybe I should take my own advice and bung the suite in the wash..
I was walking through Heaton park with a couple of beekeepers one of whom had been stung in the apiary right on top of his head . As we were walking hundreds of yards from the apiary a lone bee dive bombed the very spot on his head that had been previously stung :svengo:

John Wilkinson

What a good idea madasafish - a hand wipe! I don't eat KFC but will certainly get some wipes that smell the same.

There are people on here with such cracking good ideas!

FB

Have you washed your bee suit ready for sunday, Janet? LOL

Oh blimey - do I need to wash it? As it hadn't got any stings on it (as far as I know) I thought it would be ok. If you're pulling my leg you're in BIG trouble!

I have just brought all the bee suits home to wash. The one Paul used the night before we put the bees in the site hive, had 17 dried up stings stuck to it! he had been stung 10 times that night ( wasn't protected properly ) and this is where I think i got my dried sting from when carrying them the day before. I flicked them all off, checked the other suits, no others found, then washed them. Pegging them on the line I got another stuck in my finger....must have been considerably weakened from the washing machine, but still gave me a slight itch

Latest posts

Back