Bee sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesrus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Main, 3 Nucs
Hi all,

I was stung for only the second time yesterday by one of my rather angry little nucleus hive bees.

Thing is the last time I was stung on my finger it was a bit sore and numb for a day then subsided. After getting stung on a different finger yesterday my finger I really swollen and itches like mad.

Is this about right for a bee sting or is something more sinister going on?

Cheers

Marc

Sounds about right. Sometimes, I'll get no reaction after several stings. Other times, I'll swell like a toad after just one sting. I find it helpful to take an antihistamine a half hour before I work my hives.

You know, I think there is a whole generation of people who have never played in the woods and been stung as kids. The A&E departments must be full of them every summer.

Hi all,

I was stung for only the second time yesterday by one of my rather angry little nucleus hive bees.

Thing is the last time I was stung on my finger it was a bit sore and numb for a day then subsided. After getting stung on a different finger yesterday my finger I really swollen and itches like mad.

Cheers

Marc

It's totally normal you are now a proper beekeeper. :)

You know, I think there is a whole generation of people who have never played in the woods and been stung as kids. The A&E departments must be full of them every summer.

I grew up in the woods and played with lots of stuff, but never got stung as a kid! stinging nettles are fine got plenty of rashes off them! But my goodness I swell with bee stings. OH reckons I am mad playing with things that sting, but until I have a reaction that stop me breathing, think I will keep it up!:hurray:

I am not 100% sure that taking antihistamines is a good idea if you have not been stung.

My thoughts are that they can make it worse when a sting does happen if they are taken on a weekly bases during the season.

I am not 100% sure that taking antihistamines is a good idea if you have not been stung.

My thoughts are that they can make it worse when a sting does happen if they are taken on a weekly bases during the season.

Am I right in thinking that we had a thread that talked of bad reactions when beekeepers are on over the counter medication? It rings a bell

Rubbing some antishan cream on the sting usually helps.

Normal reaction for me as well, swelling and then the itching which can last on and of for a few days, occasionally worse. I was stung on the my calf muscle some weeks ago by a bee, (don't laugh), that must have gone into the back of my welly boot and the muscle is still sore and a bit painful. A cracker straight between the eyes a fortnight ago as well, felt like a needle through my head.

All part of the fun so I'm told although personally I could live without it.

Chris

Interesting.....I routinely take 1 antihistamine tablet almost every day through the season, and always take one before beekeeping as I find it reduces the stings, but this has not always been the case - I used to just take one now and then, and there was no correlation between the stings and the amount they hurt or not.

The type I use is Piriton, or Chlorphenamine Maleate to give it it's generic name - far cheaper if bought this way, often called allergy relief (Lloyds Pharmacy). It does make some people sleepy but I have never had an issue even taking 3 tablets in one day.....

I got stung for the 2nd time this weekend this year....through a glove and the sting has completely gone this evening.

regards

S

Interesting.....I routinely take 1 antihistamine tablet almost every day through the season, and always take one before beekeeping as I find it reduces the stings....

I got stung for the 2nd time this weekend this year....through a glove and the sting has completely gone this evening.

regards

S

So you take an antihistamine daily and have been stung only twice? Assuming you are not taking piriton for other continuous allergy issues in summer, why? Is that not a bit like like taking paracetamol every day in case you get a bad head? A liquid/powder formulation straight under the tongue will act very fast to buy time in case of a genuine allergic emergency. But otherwise I don't understand why.

Peppermint essential oil (couple of drops in maybe 250ml water) reduces itching...and yes they are horribly itchy if given the chance. Chamomile german neat three times a day for two days used sparingly reduces swelling, itching etc.

Does it show that I did a pharmacology degree :eek:? Never even take paracetamol if there's a way round it (unless something is likely to kill me of course...).

Cheers

Marc

It doesn't bode well.

Could be dangerous to carry on.

I'd be worried.

It might be curtains next time.

Perhaps you should consider gifting your colonies to......erm.......ME!!

:hat:

It doesn't bode well.

I'd be worried.

You are a very bad man......!!!

you should have waited and let me post that, first :sifone:

It doesn't bode well.

I'd be worried.

Thanks for all the feedback good to hear I'm not the only one that reacts this way. It's funny I went through 2 strong colonies without incident and my little nuc is the one giving me all the grief. : )

I would never give up my babies - I love them!!!!

Hi all,

Cheers

Marc

110% perfectly normal, get used to it I am afraid :)

Jez

Thanks for all the feedback good to hear I'm not the only one that reacts this way. It's funny I went through 2 strong colonies without incident and my little nuc is the one giving me all the grief. : )

I would never give up my babies - I love them!!!!

Now I am a sentimental old fool ... a dyed in the wool romantic...I get lumps in my throat at the cinema...I shed tears watching the film Notebook and last month at my wedding read a love poem I wrote for my wife...

I call my bees...my girls...but

My babies?!? I don't think even I can go quite just far!!!
:smilielol5:
Sam

took my first sting of the year yesterday while moving hives to an out apiary!! bless her

Anti histamines inhibit the mast cells from triggering histamine release ?, taking antihistamines after stinging is a little cart before the horse ?
How would taking antihistamines before a stinging make matters worse ?

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back