bee space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I have seen a couple of tv programs and pictures with bee space above the frames (lip on the underside of the crown board) and others that do not (lip on the upperside of the crown board)

is it personal preference or in your experiences, should it be one way or another?

Cheers
Pete

Top or bottom bee space

Hi Guys

I have seen a couple of tv programs and pictures with bee space above the frames (lip on the underside of the crown board) and others that do not (lip on the upperside of the crown board)

is it personal preference or in your experiences, should it be one way or another?

Cheers
Pete

In the UK some hive types are bottom bee space and others are top bee space.

Most Nationals are bottom bee space which means the frames are within 2mm or so of the top edge of the brood chamber. In these hives a cover board or queen excluder should have a lip with bee space of 7 or 8 mm on the underside of the board.

Although I don't own one, I believe Langstroth hives are top bee space and so can use flat cover boards, or boards with bee space lip on the top.

You really need to identify your hive accurately as to type and measure it to find out whether it was made top or bottom bee space.

JC.

I have nationals, so I AM doing it right then!!:hat:

so why would the National NOT have top bee space in the design?

Who says it is'nt Pete. To confuse even more you can get top bee spaced nationals. Up to the beek really. As long as you decide which way to go because you cannot put a top bee space shallow on a bottom bee space deep. There is probably a very good reason for the top space over bottom but I'll let someone with more than a months beekeeping experience say if there is.

Top bee space is simply faster if you are on a large scale.

Rectangular hives are more efficient if on a large scale. I know a BF who sold off his National apiaries to change to Smith as he got 10% more units on his lorry.

Give me top space every time.

PH

Latest posts

Back