bee shrubs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
I have just been given permission by the boss to sit down and to read the local rag, noticed an advert from ALDI that from next thursday the 28th that they will be selling shrubs for 99pence each, quality should be a bit iffy but for 99pence i will that the chance but does anyone recomend any of the below mentioned bushs as good for the ladies

Berberis, thumbergli atropurprea
spiraea, vanhouttei ( looks the most promising)
deutzia , scabra
ornamental quince
mock orange and lastly
hedgehog rose, rosa rugosa

opinions please

Not sure about the others but I have lots of Rosa Rugosa in Sweden, not brilliant for nectar but OK and the bees are always on it, especillay bumbles! The double advantage is the hips make good rose hip syrup.

Norm whats your main forage throughout the season in Sweden and Spain?

Thanks for that HP - Ive got a Bee Allotment to plant up, these will come in handy!:grouphug:

Norm whats your main forage throughout the season in Sweden and Spain?

I am still learning about Sweden so I can't say with any authority. Two years ago, the farmer next to me planted 10 hectare of field beans, last year oats! various trees, Ling, Rape, Dandelions, Rasberries, Blueberries.
Spain is quite different, no main flow as such but a steady flow from September right through till the next June. Lavender, Rosemary, Spanish broom, Almond, Citrus, Olive (pollen in May) to name a few.

Hi Members

If ever i need to find what shrub or plants is good for the bees i refer to The Beekeepers Garden by Ted Hooper. If you can get hold of this book it's extremely informative, by the way HP all those plants you mentioned are in the book and have good write ups.

There is a beekeeper who's profession is to do with all types of flora and he gave a good talk at Stoneleigh last year.
If you have a query then e-mail him, his name is Andy Willis
[email protected]

Regards;

Back