Bee,s in a shed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retired bill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Is there anyone with experience in keeping bee,s in a shed the main reason is because of the foul weather living near the North East coast.

In the late 80s I kept my bees in a shed. Because of problems, I have kept them outdoors since then.

In the late 80s I kept my bees in a shed. Because of problems, I have kept them outdoors since then.
Hedgerow Pete, late of this forum, kept his bees in a shed. There may be some videos and stuff - search for him. There was a link to his videos a few days ago...

look at some of those old videos of German bee keeping . they kept them in open lean tos.with a sheet to cover the area in particularly cold phases.

One of our association members keeps his hives in a shed ... tunnel entrance to the outside wall. Only problem appears to be loose bees during inspections but apparently he has a roof window and any strays find their way out. With my eyesight I might find it a little dark inside a shed unless there was some good lighting. There are done advantages... you can inspect regardless if the weather... they are kept warm an dry in winter... you can't drop a queen in the grass and if you organise things well a low bench to stack boxes on when you are inspecting and a,place for spare supers and kit to hand.... Theres a lot of pluses and not that many disadvantages... loose bees seems to be one of the few .

A shed will need to be quite large and as usual once decided on a size double it and then it still won't be big enough.

I seem to remember one problem the Apiarist had was vibration. You need the floor to be solid or the hives supported in such a way that you don't cause vibrations to the hives when walking or inspecting in the shed.
I think his hives were supported independently from the suspended floor.

Latest posts

Back