Bee repellent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bitter Almond oil, not the stuff you can get for cooking, but the essential oil, which makes your eyes water. If you put a few drops on a rag on top of a super, they will clear the super in a number of seconds. Whilst I did try it once, I much prefer the physical methods for clearing supers. The speed at which bees move away from it is impressive. I have heard that if you use too much the bees go into a stupor.

Isn't there there a cyanide content in that?
Hope I'm wrong!

I believe it is possible to get food grade bitter almond oil which doesn't have the cyanide compound present. I don't know whether the food grade and non food grade versions are equally effective at repelling bees.

James

They are back this morning. I'm going to experiment. . . .. . . Ben
Couldn't find the almond essence in the cupboard. I know I hate the smell of the stuff. Went with spraying white vinegar 3 times and they had gone by evening. Not returned today.
Swarm might just a have moved on (not into one of my bait hives) but it worked.
. . . . Ben

Bitter Almond oil, not the stuff you can get for cooking, but the essential oil, which makes your eyes water. If you put a few drops on a rag on top of a super, they will clear the super in a number of seconds. Whilst I did try it once, I much prefer the physical methods for clearing supers. The speed at which bees move away from it is impressive. I have heard that if you use too much the bees go into a stupor.
I’ve used this it’s it’s good for clearing supers and combs when doing a cut outs
https://www.cwynnejones.com/crown-boards-clearer-boards/435-bee-quick-240ml.html

Latest posts

Back