Bee Ok Varroa Test Kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hyde Ranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just looking on e-bay and I came across a product called "Bee Ok Varroa test kit" anyone got any info on this what E numbers does it contain and is it safe to use, Regards Nigel.

First question is: What is it for? Testing to see if your bees have varroa? I do't need that. I know they have!

Testing to see how many? I don't need that. I want some method of controlling (killing) them.

Not gleaned a lot of information yet. So I would ignore it.

Regards, RAB

As you have to apply it every two days throughout the season I suggest there are easier methods of controlling varroa. I've no idea how effective it is but the effort required to apply it every two days rules it out in my view.

I have spoken with the person who makes this substance several times on the telephone over the past year or so,i have no idea what it contains, some secret,but have mentioned several times to him that it is not practical to be using it every two days,whatever it is,when there are other effective treatments that only need to be used a couple of times a year.A sample of the substance was going to be sent to me back last summer for testing,it never appeared.
Recieved an e mail on 21st march saying he was listing the product on e bay,have replied inviting him to join the forum and perhaps give us some more imformation,if he's not already a silent member that is...........i know no more than that.

Last edited:
Latest e mail from manufacturer of this substance to test for varroa.

HI Peter

I don’t know which beekeeping forum you are referring to.

I am registered with one I think. As you assume I haven’t said anything yet on it (Beesource).

I will send you some in the post soon.

If the regularly followed regime of treatment was satisfactory there would be no problem, the NBU would not consider 10% losses acceptable, nor would the statistics from places like Wales be so bad – average about 20% losses of colonies inspected – i.e. they were found to be dead on inspection.

People like Selwyn Wilkins of the NBU and Tim Lovett (immediate past president of BBKA) both are unable to say why colonies keep dying.

The colony that I originally treated – I still have. I deeply regret not treating the four swarms that I acquired this year – the most active developed DWV and succumbed to Nosema in the winter. The others lost large numbers of bees through the winter. This has reinforced my belief in my program. I am absolutely certain that my approach is correct and currently I believe there to be no better way. As you know I have had no funding, nor has anyone taken an interest in my work. That does not worry me. I am not reliant on sales of my product to progress. Rather I feel obliged to allow people the chance to do as I am doing and benefit accordingly.

The most likely question is what does it contain – well I’ve announced that the chemicals are assigned E numbers and that they are on the American EAFUS and GRAS lists. That doesn’t make them organic. Since I am not going to disclose the chemicals publicly I leave it to discussion as to which chemicals potential users would wish to avoid from those lists.

Similarly the objection, which I am sure many have made, is to the frequency of application. I would ask whether you consider your bees worth such attention. If you are happy with the existing treatment you are giving your bees, why change? Surely not for monetary saving. I have been advised that I am charging too little for the product. Perhaps pricing will make no difference – it certainly can’t decrease sales much. If your hives are too remote and your time too precious you may consider getting a schoolboy or girl to do the errand for a small weekly consideration. But you don’t need me to advise you here. Likewise on the possibility of some automated delivery system of the dose. Here some care needs to be taken as it is desirable that the previous dose evaporate before the following dose be applied. This is not too critical as I have dosed my bees with considerably higher quantities and strengths without ill effect. I believe that a very good payback will be achieved on the purchase price for users otherwise I would not offer it. If I say that at the beginning of 2009 March – when my two-year-old queen was superseded, the bees scarcely covered a frame and at the beginning of this year when the photographs were taken 13 March 2010 – I estimate that I will be able to split the colony into four at the beginning of May. The bees are gentle, holding well on the comb and were certified without disease of any kind at 17 September 2009 by two NBU bee inspectors. I believe that the condition of my colony is exceptional. I hardly tested during 2009 and never found more than about 5 varroa. The same is presently true, but not of the 2009 swarms which will continue to be attended until they become fairly clear of varroa.

I have had a glowing endorsement from a beekeeper who had lost colonies following thymol and pyrethroid treatments.

I am confident that the four colonies that I presently have will be with me through the winter and into 2011 and beyond.

I informed the VMD that I was advertising on Ebay and provided them the link to see what I had done to market it. They have been aware of my product for a while but I have only brought it to market. They have not endorsed it in any way.

I am happy if you post this on your beekeeping forum.

Without bothering to dissect that e-mail apart and analyse exactly what is printed, my first impression was that of how amateurish the text was. Yes, bees die (but only once) - for a variety of reasons, etc etc.

Does this come down to someone offering for sale a 'medication' to rid bees of varroa? Not quite, and seems to be worded in such a way as to circumvent the need for any prior 'safety testing' protocol, and containing what - who knows?

I have yet to have a colony which 'scarcely covered a frame' supercede successfully so this beek is obviously much luckier than I (I actually would not contemplate leaving a colony that weak to supercede, but that is 'by the way').

The impression I get is that this person has few colonies? Again I may be wrong but there is 'scarcely' any evidence of anything.

So lets have some hard facts. Information. Documentation. Evidence. Numbers Comparisons with controls. Etc.

I have not found any varroa in my colonies yet, this year. Reason - I've not looked.

I might use it - if and when proved satisfatory. Until then would I risk doping my bees every other day with an unknown substance during a nectar flow? No.

Regards, RAB

It might be really good stuff but that Ad on Ebay would stop me from buying it. It takes five minutes to read and doesn`t even say what it is, or does.

Darren.

Latest e mail from manufacturer of this substance to test for varroa.

well I’ve announced that the chemicals are assigned E numbers....Since I am not going to disclose the chemicals publicly

So, by definition it is illegal to treat as

a) it's not a VMD approved treatment
b) it's not available under the cascade principle having being approved elsewhere in the EU

It's composition might be such that formal approval is not necessary (i.e like icing sugar for instance) but there is no way of knowing

As for E numbers, being 'safe' there are many that when used on bees would cause death or harmful residues in honey. Use an product of unknown composition on your bees and it might work, but if a bee inspector / Environmental Health Inspector found out then you'd be in very deep manure filled creek, in a canoe without a paddle.

Last edited:
Maybe thats why the wording says "Test kit" and not "treatment".
Bit like saying Miaow-miaew(Methadrone) is plant food.

Hi

If this is the same bloke and I think it is, he has been doing the rounds for a couple of years trying to talk to anyone silly enough to listen............RBI's have been known to chuck themselves under tables to avoid him at the honey show..

Take it all with a very large pinch of salt..............................:dupe:

Regards Ian

This is the response the guy wishes to make,obviously does not care to join the forum and comment himself.
Yes Ian, perhaps you have got it about right.

If you publish the following it may make clear my position. I do not wish to be drawn into senseless discussion.

Thank you for your interest. I certainly don’t wish to boil my cabbages twice and I think that answering any questions on ebay from those who are seriously interested in the product is as far as I need go for the moment.

I suggest the poster take up their concerns directly with the VMD:

Defra Veterinary Medicines Directorate

Woodham Lane

New Haw

Addlestone

Surrey

KT15 3LS

Telephone +44 01932 336911

Web: www.vmd.gov.uk

or the NBU:

01904 462000

And they will then be able to stop worrying about my ability to paddle or whatever.

I would add that my colony under treatment was inspected by two FERA inspectors on 17 September 2009 and found to have no identifiable varroa nor any other disease. The colony is photographed in the first of the adverts on ebay.

Last edited:
Well that makes it a whole lot clearer. :banghead:
I think the best thing is for me to buy some and test it out on your hives Pete. Where did you say your apiary was again ?

Darren.

Darren
not a hope in hell of that unknown substance going anywhere near my bee's,...lol.

Last edited:
Ummm,

I have been to quite a few lecture's on bee health, headed by bee keepers and people whom have an authority in bee keeping etc etc etc..

Now from listening to each one it would be fair to say the majority of each speaker would be leaning to hive management programs and the use of natural based products to treat varroa.

The use of manufactured products (bayer and friends) should be avoided at all costs. I have noticed without research there is very little reference to field tested studies and analysis data backed up by a creditable chemical ingredients list.

Just my thoughts.

Busy Bee

as a varroa test kit try buying a small magnifying glass, it works for me every time and only cost 99p
What do you do Pete ?, focus the suns' rays on each individual mite :party:.

Sorry couldn'd resist. John Wilkinson

I think Victor, Pete:sifone: is way to advanced for you, his answer is way above your response....:rofl:

The use of manufactured products (bayer and friends) should be avoided at all costs.

Something thrown together in someone's back yard and 'full of E numbers' that has a completely unknown composition could be far more harmful to both bees and humans than just about anything brewed up by that axis of evil Bayer & Co - pesticide patents show exactly what is in their concoctions even if they do cover up the effects to other than the target species.

E number facts of the day:

Jill Masterton in Goldfinger was killed by her skin being coated with E175

100.678g of E175 dropped from a height of 51.317mm can be a fatal dose for a bee

I get the impression he may of been testing it on himself :willy_nilly:

Back