bee movement within hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Division of labour within the hive is a fascinating subject. Does anyone know if the bees are seam orientated i.e. stay on a particular seam or do they follow the queens laying pattern or is it all done ad hoc?

Why they should be seem oriented?

50 000 bees and 55 seems

To create order I suppose. My work area is seam two and your work area is seam five kind of thing in the brood nest. I have noticed on my PH that the great majority of bees fly in one corner of the flight board away from the main brood area. Is there a reason for this?

I have noticed on my PH that the great majority of bees fly in one corner of the flight board away from the main brood area. Is there a reason for this?

dislike of teenagers?

My work area is seam two and your work area is seam five kind of thing in the brood nest

From my observations the foragers give the pollen to other bees so perhaps its more of a delivery area than a work area.

Last edited:
Thomas Seeley's book The Wisdom of the Hive covers organisation of collection and storage of pollen, nectar and water in great detail (but I don't think there's much on distribution of brood). Seems that recruitment and storage is quite flexible, e.g., if a forager can't offload nectar within a short period of time she actively recuits more `unloaders'.

dislike of teenagers?

From my observations the foragers give the pollen to other bees so perhaps its more of a delivery area than a work area.

Hi Dishmop,
A learned person on bee anatomy who gave a lecture the other week stated that the bees off-load themselves when it comes to pollen? Also, I found a batch of dead pollen carrying bees on one of the flight boards. Would that be because they died of old age or would they have tried to beg their way into the hive and been killed or refused entry? Any thoughts?:nature-smiley-005:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back