Bee loving plant identification please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Please, can anybody identify this tree for me. It's about ten feet tall.
It is in my sis-in-law's garden. It's cream coloured plumes will be in flower shortly (the picture shows the flower buds) and she says the bees love it.
The leaves go red before they fall. The stems have small thorns on them but the more mature trunk is spineless.
I liberated a 3 foot self seeded specimen this afternoon

4941868285_c6e98dd876.jpg
[/url]
Mystery plant by daniakrigg, on Flickr[/IMG]

4941866601_75258b2f6c.jpg
[/url]
Mystery plant by daniakrigg, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks a lot.

Looks like a Bee Tree!
No kidding - it really does look like a Tetradium species - used to be called Evodia, or Chinese Bee Tree, or Korean Bee Tree. Amazingly attractive to insects.

Wow! gardenbees, you are absolutely right :hurray::hurray:
I've now looked it up on the internet.
I KNEW somebody on here would help.
Thanks.

EricA,

Just picked up this old thread so apologies for delayed question.

Would you mind telling me in which county you found this Chinese Bee Tree growing as I'm dead keen on planting a few of these in the garden, as they provide abundant nectar in September when nothing is around. I heard they weren't totally frost hardy so it would be good to know from you or others who have such a tree.

I'd also be interested to know if forum members have the Acacia Dealbata (Silver Wattle) growing in their areas and if so which counties, as this tree flowers over winter allegedly providing alot of nectar if conditions are right, but again, susceptible to bad weather.

BL

Well, we had temperatures down to -15 last winter and the tree is still there :)
My liberated sapling is doing well in its pot too

If you're looking for a good nectar source in the autumn you can't go far wrong with a Mahonia.
I have four large ones in the garden and they are covered in bees when they flower.
madasafish...........thanks for the link.

Thanks Madasafish. Thinks I'll get a packet of those as well as a few sapplings.

Thks EricA. Good to know it survived -15. Should bode well for it's chances of survival. Never heard of the Mahonia but I'll look into that. It all helps.
BL

EricA,

I'd also be interested to know if forum members have the Acacia Dealbata (Silver Wattle) growing in their areas and if so which counties, as this tree flowers over winter allegedly providing alot of nectar if conditions are right, but again, susceptible to bad weather.

BL

Isle of Wight - lots! However I would suggest from memory that it's early to mid Spring it flowers, but my memory is closely linked to my imagination! ;)

Thanks Headnav.
Did the Isle of Wight also suffer heavy snowfalls this year and last? No damage?
If so then I reckon Surrey might be warm enough.

Yes, to an unheard-of degree. Lost Nerine Oleander, 2 hibiscus, Grevillea, and all sorts of odds and sods that usually survive. But plenty of blooming Acacia Dealbata around all the same. Guess they had their roots down far enough to keep their toes warm.

Just looked at this tree and would like to plant one then saw the height/spread. 12m x 5m so bee careful where you plant it! Big innit?

Have ordered a packet of seeds - will give any surplus saplings to local village ladies group to sell and spread around the village :)

Pondering wether to raise lots of bee friendly plants so sell at local markets and car boot sales so I can increase the amount of forage locally :)

Seeds arrived today - very quick delivery - now for planting and raising my bee trees :)

Out of curiosity - how many years before it flowers?
Cazza

3 to 6 years with flowers lasting 2 months - nectar from July to August and mature trees can have 200,000 flowers (who counted them?)

Last edited:
6 years :eek: I suspected something like that.
That's why I took a runner from my sis in law.
I'll post a pic of her tree when it flowers....it's astounding.
If anybody wants some self seeded/runners I will collect some this autumn and post them on, just say.

Just looked at this tree and would like to plant one then saw the height/spread. 12m x 5m so bee careful where you plant it! Big innit?

Thing is it'll probably take 20 years to get to that size plus, you could always just give it a top and tail.

EricA - could I take you up on that kind offer please. Let me know nearer towards the time and I'll happily pay for the postage.

BL

Seeds arrived today - very quick delivery - now for planting and raising my bee trees :)

I got mine too, i now have them in the fridge, stratifying. I will plant them in 2 months.

Once i get them to a height of around 2 Meters i will plant them in-between the fields where the farmer never ploughs up.

In 10 years time we should have a nice long row of Bee trees right at the back of my house
;)

Back