Bee Lining Success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bees-in-Art

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
moorsheather.jpg

I took the day off yesterday to walk my dog on the North York Moors - I noticed some honey bees and followed their line over half a mile of heather moorland. I found where they were headed. Hidden behind a wall somebody had made an apiary. I was a little disappointed as I was hoping to find a wild hive, but I'm always intrigued to see someone else's operation.

heatherapiary.jpg

In this case the beekeeper has towed a trailer over a considerable distance into the field on the edge of the moorland. There's a chicken wire fence - I guess to keep out the sheep. They've used those orange hive straps from France. And travel screens made from green plastic mesh sold in garden centres, were stored on top of the roofs.

Andrew

a messy lay out and set up but it will do what he wants, so fair play to him for the effort

I think that this beekeeper has minimised back strain by just dropping some of the hives straight off the trailer - if the bees do well they can be awfully heavy when filled with heather honey, especially if the supers aren't removed before getting back to the home apiary.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back