Bee-Keeping Protective Suit - your recommendations appreciated

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go for BB Wear or Sherriff. If you're tempted to buy one of the cheapo bee suits ask the supplier what guarentee they offer, how much the suits weigh, and whether they offer a repair service for veil and zips.
Also, make sure you dry the suit before storing, or it will go mouldy.

I went for a BBWear simply because I didn't like the Sheriff badge LOL

Buy cheap and you'll buy twice.

Don't ever compromise on safety your life will depend upon it.
When you're doing as AS in the wind or taking supers from bees who don't want you to, you'll be glad you bought an expensive brand name.

Buy cheap and you'll buy twice.

Don't ever compromise on safety your life will depend upon it.
When you're doing as AS in the wind or taking supers from bees who don't want you to, you'll be glad you bought an expensive brand name.

:iagree: I had a fragile planet which I did not feel was that cheap but did not last a season. Now have BB and very pleased.

Don't bother with a Buzz suit, me and my partner bought one each last year and they started falling to pieces in a matter of weeks, the seams were the first to go.
Even the fabric seems poor.
Sheriff or BB for me this year I would think.

Have a look at the material of the veil mesh....

My cheap jackets have the veil mesh 'cracking' and 'splitting', my Sherriff hoods have a woven mesh and is certainly more durable, also the jacket is more comfortable to wear.

Always makes inspections more interesting if there is a bee inside the veil because there is a hole!! :eek:

Look also at the function of the zips, the zips on the cheaper suits are prone to breaking as well.

Buy the best you can afford.

I have a Sheriff jacket (20% off in their sale at the mo with free leather gauntlets thrown in...I keep these for guests wanting to "see the bees")
and
a BB full suit.

You can wash the veil with the suit in a washing machine if you tuck it into the suit and do the zip up.

BB wear or Sherriff are best (Sherriff cost more but on 20% discount offer at the moment), but Swienty are good too and cheaper (available from MB). They also have zipped pockets (BB and Sherriff do not) - very useful for keeping car keys etc. safe and accessable. Bees can also get into 'zipless' pockets, to give you a surprise when taking off your suit.

BB wear or Sherriff are best (Sherriff cost more but on 20% discount offer at the moment), but Swienty are good too and cheaper (available from MB). They also have zipped pockets (BB and Sherriff do not) - very useful for keeping car keys etc. safe and accessable. Bees can also get into 'zipless' pockets, to give you a surprise when taking off your suit.
Good point, it's an excellent suit for the price.

Got a BB Wear full suit and a Sherriff full suit.

Prefer the BB one as the hood is wider and more spacious, also the BB one has pockets in the legs, the Sherriff doesnt.

Also I have a BB jacket and I find that the bees manage to get in around the waist area.

Invest in a full suit

As you have probably aware by now there are two manufactures that are the best however your choice now is hat or hoody type veil, I have tried both and I actually prefer the hat type, why ? cooler and that's it

I prefer the 'hat' type as not only are they cooler but also keep the bees further away from my ears.....

I prefer the 'hat' type as not only are they cooler but also keep the bees further away from my ears.....

Me too.

I've also found that the fencing style suits that claim they are self supporting - aren't.

Latest posts

Back