Bee(keeper) space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a year ago I was making syrup late one night. My wife heard a noise and came down to grumble but couldn't bring herself to for pity- she caught me with my socks stuck to the floor, surrounded by all our tea towels, desperately attempting to soak up the still warm syrup as my 10L expanding camping water (edit: carrier) had finally given up the ghost at the point I'd filled it and split all over the kitchen floor.
At least it wasn't honey! There are a few stories here of valves left open as honey empties silently onto the floor:eek:

At least it wasn't honey! There are a few stories here of valves left open as honey empties silently onto the floor:eek:

That would be more soul destroying. This was bad enough being merely 2:1 sugar:water syrup. My wife still gets twitchy when I use the kitchen for bee stuff...

a good idea, as is a high roof-line for your shed.
Absolutely agree. It's also worth mentioning the sense of trying to get at least one wall plate as high as possible (which means a pent roof in most garden environments) to allow for a semi open lean to to be added for box storage at a later date if its ever required. A useful recommendation from the writings of Frank Henderson; not a beekeeper but he knew a bit about agricultural buildings.

A useful recommendation from the writings of Frank Henderson; not a beekeeper but he knew a bit about agricultural buildings
I loved his muppets, as well as sesame street

I think you will find the OP started this thread as a light hearted but seriously interested enquiry into the workshop/storage practices of other members and was not expecting suggestions of reducing the number of hives he has or building high roofline sheds.Sincere thanks anyway.

That would be more soul destroying. This was bad enough being merely 2:1 sugar:water syrup. My wife still gets twitchy when I use the kitchen for bee stuff...
I lost 2/3 bucket honey when the handle broke on the patio as I was about to enter my kitchen for bottling. I scooped up the bulk of the spilt honey into a bucket before washing down. The recovered honey I will feed back to via an English feeder next year.

I have two sheds and a bee room off the workshop and still have kit dotted about the house
I know what you mean. No one talks much about the sheer amount of equipment, some essential, some not so much, that is required!
I have a ten by eight shed, a greenhouse of the same size and access to a garage (my partner's :rolleyes:) The trouble is that I live in a pokey flat in the '*rse end of Birmingham. It often looks like a honey warehouse. Even at the moment I wake up to find myself looking at rows of jars on shelves! There are always hive parts and empty nucs stacked up somewhere. I have a cupboard, with shelves heaving under the weight of various bee-related tools and PPE. I am lucky enough to have a small garden, but that also has more 'apiarological paraphernalia' in it'
I really need a workshop/kitchen unit somewhere!

Apiarological......I think I've just invented a new word? :unsure::geek::laughing-smiley-014:icon_204-2:

Must be time for -
a) a bigger shed
b) renting a 'lock-up' or
c) sell the motorbike.
But to me your current 'workshop' looks cosy, comfortable and rather homely.
Or stuffed. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Must be time for -
a) a bigger shed
b) renting a 'lock-up' or
c) sell the motorbike.
But to me your current 'workshop' looks cosy, comfortable and rather homely.

Thanks Murox, I will go with the" cosy,comfortable and rather homely" option rather than sell my bike.

My apiary site could be divided into thirds. The top third is my allotment growing area. The middle third, which is still allotment ( included in the rent) is heavily wooded, with about 15 mature oak, Ash and hawthorn. I cannot grow stuff here so am gradually establishing wild flowers. In this area I have three 6×4 sheds( old chicken coops from previous tenant) and an 8×4 shed. All full of beekeeping gear. You can never have enough sheds. The bottom third, which is actually outside of the allotment boundary is where i have my hives. I have converted the summer house at home ( 400 yards away) into my extraction room

Ahh, the Sticky Slipper Syndrome, I guess quite a few of us have been there.
I love it when 'civilians' say: "It must be loverley getting out all that honey." My reply is: "NOOOOO.....it's 'orrible! Everything gets sticky......you find the smallest drops of honey transferred EVERYWHERE, if you're not careful!"
Mind you, my extraction has become far more efficient now, with the addition of a 12 frame extractor and the use of a heat-gun for uncapping :D

There OK but you need ventilation I have one for boxes and equipment, condensation is a pita.
Work shop is a cobbled floor and freezing at the best of times, a mate told me to stand on a couple of layers of cardboard which was a little better.

I got mine just over a year ago, last winter I did have issues with condensation but that was due to the roof having a couple of little holes where it had got bent, scraped or bucked and the rain pooled above and then leaked in.

After the heatwave we had this summer I ordered some of this: Cromar Grey Cromapol Acrylic Fibre Reinforced Roof Coat Sealant Paint 2 x 5Kg : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools which I wanted as a light colour might have the benefit of reflecting some of the heat. Putting it on was slow but since I haven't had any leaks inside and everything is dry.

Whatever you decide, it will never be enough.
Our main building is 100 ft x 47, fully racked & contains honey room, One quarter of this is for vehicle maintance, the rest is pretty full. Second is 25 x 20, this is our box storage, and currently full to rafters with supers, Ashforth feeders & spare broods.
It's very scary how quickly space is being consumed.

Whatever you decide, it will never be enough.
Our main building is 100 ft x 47, fully racked & contains honey room, One quarter of this is for vehicle maintance, the rest is pretty full. Second is 25 x 20, this is our box storage, and currently full to rafters with supers, Ashforth feeders & spare broods.
It's very scary how quickly space is being consumed.
I will keep to half a dozen hives max., I will, I will, I will, I w.............

Latest posts

Back