Bee(keeper) space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pre-fab shed that I bought for storing kit, but it was so poorly made that I've mostly given up on it. I may well just stick-build another. For some jobs I work in the brewery instead. It would be nice to have a dedicated beekeeping space with power and water.

James

I had a pre-fab shed that I bought for storing kit, but it was so poorly made that I've mostly given up on it. I may well just stick-build another. For some jobs I work in the brewery instead. It would be nice to have a dedicated beekeeping space with power and water.

James
Working in the brewery has a certain appeal ( he said topping up his London Pride )
Dave

Working in the brewery has a certain appeal ( he said topping up his London Pride )

I'm quite partial to a pint of London Pride myself :)

The brewery (or "beer shack", as my son christened it) is a little cramped, but does the job. This is it mostly finished. The cabinet at the back left is temperature-controlled for fermentation, and there's a 100 litre hot liquor tun on top. Next to it is an 80 litre insulated mash tun and on the right another 100 litre stainless pot used as a boiler (with a temporary pipe to get rid of the steam and a bottle drainer stood on top).

beershack14.jpg

James

I'm quite partial to a pint of London Pride myself :)

The brewery (or "beer shack", as my son christened it) is a little cramped, but does the job. This is it mostly finished. The cabinet at the back left is temperature-controlled for fermentation, and there's a 100 litre hot liquor tun on top. Next to it is an 80 litre insulated mash tun and on the right another 100 litre stainless pot used as a boiler (with a temporary pipe to get rid of the steam and a bottle drainer stood on top).

beershack14.jpg

James
Thats rather wonderful James.

Thank you :) Brewing shares a number of similarities with honey extraction, not least of which is that life is much happier when my wife's slippers don't stick to the kitchen floor :D

James
Ahh, the Sticky Slipper Syndrome, I guess quite a few of us have been there.

Ahh, the Sticky Slipper Syndrome, I guess quite a few of us have been there.
Thank you :) Brewing shares a number of similarities with honey extraction, not least of which is that life is much happier when my wife's slippers don't stick to the kitchen floor :D

James

About a year ago I was making syrup late one night. My wife heard a noise and came down to grumble but couldn't bring herself to for pity- she caught me with my socks stuck to the floor, surrounded by all our tea towels, desperately attempting to soak up the still warm syrup as my 10L expanding camping water (edit: carrier) had finally given up the ghost at the point I'd filled it and split all over the kitchen floor.

Last edited:
About a year ago I was making syrup late one night. My wife heard a noise and came down to grumble but couldn't bring herself to for pity- she caught me with my socks stuck to the floor, surrounded by all our tea towels, desperately attempting to soak up the still warm syrup as my 10L expanding camping water had finally given up the ghost at the point I'd filled it and split all over the kitchen floor.

I feel we may have the start of another thread here :)

James

Enough of all this talk of bee space , how about beekeeper space ? I need more room, how do others cope if not lucky enough to have 500sq ft central heated,air conditioned workshop ?View attachment 30067
Nothing like trip hazards and clutter in the work space, it's too easy otherwise. ;)

Shipping container which is excellent for the storage but could do with a better extraction space.
There OK but you need ventilation I have one for boxes and equipment, condensation is a pita.
Work shop is a cobbled floor and freezing at the best of times, a mate told me to stand on a couple of layers of cardboard which was a little better.

Store everything in ‘flat-pack’ form until needed outside? Not much space needed for ‘kit’ for those with a couple of hives. A storage cupboard outside should be adequate leaving extractor and honey storage the main extras needing somewhere to store.

If, as the OP, one has (possibly more than) half a dozen hives, perhaps it needs some thought to be given towards that number. Clearly, if in need of a rotovator, more than one hedge trimmer and other engine powered items, there should be some considerable garden space?

Extend the shed? 500 square feet (equivalent to over 22ft square) is not required for beekeeping unless on a fairly large scale. A National hive footprint is just over 2 1/4 square feet (excluding the roof). Stacking vertically is a good idea, as is a high roof-line for your shed. I can store seven 14x12 boxes, in one stack, in my garage (not that I do).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back