Bee Job at Sussex Uni

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not many people will be able to apply for that job surely.

great job shame i dont have the experiance and knowledge. lol

Worth showing some detail
5 year fixed term contract, full time)
Salary range: starting at £29,972pa rising to £35,788pa
Provisional start date 1st March 2012
The position of Honey Bee Research Facilities Manager will support the honey bee research currently underway in LASI. This position will be a key addition to the team and will considerably increase the research productivity and output of the laboratory. In addition the role holder will assist with the training of the next generation of honey bee scientists and be involved in education and outreach work to beekeepers and the wider public. The role holder will also enhance the teaching and training of undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Project specific duties:
This job description is not exhaustive but is a guide to the main functions and responsibilities of the post. It is subject to constant review in the light of changes and development of the project. The post holder may be asked to undertake such duties as may be properly delegated following discussion and consultation.

* Maintaining up to 100 regular bee hives, 50 queen mating hives and 10 observation hives at various locations at the laboratory, on the University campus and other locations in the local area
* Managing the workshop
* Managing the honey extraction facility
* Making and assembling hive equipment
* Making and assembling bee research equipment
* Instrumental insemination of queen honey bees
* Queen rearing
* Helping to set up 'on farm' research in which hives managed by local beekeepers can be used to test queen bees and disease management methods under conditions that are relevant to end users
* Collaborating with LASI researchers on honey bee research projects
* Collaborating with beekeepers
* Providing training for young honey bee scientists at the University of Sussex in beekeeping
* Giving talks and demonstrations to beekeepers and other groups to disseminate LASI research and to promote LASI as a model for best practice
* Writing or helping to write papers and articles
* Providing training and management for volunteers

The post holder will be expected to work independently although supervision will be available in the event of a problem.

I was baffled... so...

The Laboratory of Apiculture and Social Insects (LASI)

PH

Dream job shame about the wages maybe in a couple of years when retirement beckons

That is more than a roustabout gets on a Platform and he is risking his life.

Get real

PH

Shame about the wages. Thats only twice our house hold income.

I thought it didn't seem a particularly high starting wage for a position that demands a fair bit of experience and includes some fairly uncommon skills (how many beeks can claim significant experience with instrumental insemination, for example?). And in a part of the country where living costs are somewhat higher than average, I believe.

James

I thought it didn't seem a particularly high starting wage for a position that demands a fair bit of experience and includes some fairly uncommon skills (how many beeks can claim significant experience with instrumental insemination, for example?). And in a part of the country where living costs are somewhat higher than average, I believe.

James

I live 10 miles from the uni and manage on £16k per year very nicely. if you dont have it you dont need it. all things are relative.

And actually the starting salary for this area is pretty high. there are very few bankers round here. lol

James
I don't think the skills needed are any problem,just the part of the country where one would have to be.

having been to LASI and sheffield uni several time, i would not work for Professor Ratneik, his staff are fine and very nice but Ratneik is too set in his views that are reinforced by his BIBBA friends that black bees are better

don't think the OH would appreciate the cut in "play pennies".

not far from Gatwick though.

perhaps should keep an eye on it as IMHO our hospital likely to be wiped of the map soon.

I haven't seen this in the bee press. I wonder if they already have someone but uni rules dictate it must be advertised, even if it's not likely to be seen by any suitably qualified candidates.

I haven't seen this in the bee press. I wonder if they already have someone but uni rules dictate it must be advertised, even if it's not likely to be seen by any suitably qualified candidates.

Highly likely Chris, the job description has the look of having been tailored to suit the winning candidate.

having been to LASI and sheffield uni several time, i would not work for Professor Ratneik, his staff are fine and very nice but Ratneik is too set in his views that are reinforced by his BIBBA friends that black bees are better

Fortunately most well informed University projects have come to same conclusions, based on sound research and good academic practice.

You could come up here. Our hospitals' trust has a well above average number of dead people ;)

Sorry Mid Staffs Hospitals killed some 400 people in the last decade...official.

You'll have to do better than that.

(Anyone prosecuted? Don't be silly.. This is the NHS!)

Sorry Mid Staffs Hospitals killed some 400 people in the last decade...official.

Do you really mean killed? As in they deliberately ended somebodies life or do you mean died when they could reasonably be expected to have lived?

Latest posts

Back