Bee inspector

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipewrench36

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
The Regional Bee Inspector cometh forth today. I have symtoms of EFB. I have symptoms of DLQ. I also have half a pint of petrol and a box of matches. The question is, how far back do I stand before throwing in the match ?

you don't light the petrol in the brood box (you haven't been near Rab's car have you?) to just kill bees - the vapour suffocates the bees.

For FB destruction you make a bonfire of the contents inc. bees (unless the hive itself is not worth saving) - from FERA guidance "Bees, frames, combs and honey destroyed by fire in the presence of the Bee Inspector...The hive bodies must be sterilised using a blowlamp and may then be reused"

AFAIK 1 litre of petrol = 10,000 litres of vapour at sea level.

a colleague's son blew up an old anderson shelter using just a cup full of petrol - only suffered singed hair luckily.

Last edited:
I think this thread is a little premature.

I don't think these bees have been in situ for so very long? The supplier is on the forum and would be upset even if this is a false alarm (he should have been informed already, of course), but just not the way to go about things IMO.

Perhaps the bees were checked and tested before despatch, but your post does not show or achieve anything - other than possibly worrying other purchasers before any diagnosis is carried out.

Symptoms with a DLQ can often look like EFB.

I also agree with RAB's comments.

Last edited:
False alram, all my fault

Thanks for the good wishes. Pleased to say that I do not have EFB, DLQ or anything else. The inspector gave my bees and also my husbandry, 10 out of 10. So the matches can go back on the gas mantle and the petrol back into the Mother-In-Laws broomstick.
My word Rab, you certainly seem to know a lot about me. I am honoured to think that I am such a burr under your saddle.
Keep smiling, it worries the **** out of your enemies.

"My word Rab, you certainly seem to know a lot about me. I am honoured to think that I am such a burr under your saddle."

didn't you know? when not arsonising cars or dissing beehauses Rab works for News International!!!!

"My word Rab, you certainly seem to know a lot about me. I am honoured to think that I am such a burr under your saddle."

didn't you know? when not arsonising cars or dissing beehauses Rab works for News International!!!!
Ah! I see. The mention of 'petrol' must have struck a nerve. I will try to be more sensitive.

My word Rab, you certainly seem to know a lot about me.

Nothing , absolutely nothing is what I know about you apart from your previous posts.

That does not make it right for someone, who apparently has only kept bees for a very few weeks, to come on the forum with a thread like this.

Does demonstrate your knowledge level and your attitude to your supplier. Doubtless, he will be relieved to hear the all clear. If it was not, a lot of his customers would likely have been in contact really quickly, even if his operation was perfectly clean, as I expect it would be.

Certainly the right thing to do - contacting the inspector. Just the wrong way on here.

My word Rab, you certainly seem to know a lot about me.

Nothing , absolutely nothing is what I know about you apart from your previous posts.

That does not make it right for someone, who apparently has only kept bees for a very few weeks, to come on the forum with a thread like this.

Does demonstrate your knowledge level and your attitude to your supplier. Doubtless, he will be relieved to hear the all clear. If it was not, a lot of his customers would likely have been in contact really quickly, even if his operation was perfectly clean, as I expect it would be.

Certainly the right thing to do - contacting the inspector. Just the wrong way on here.
Just to correct a couple of points if I may. 1) I have been keeping bees for a lot longer than a few weeks. 2) You are making a few assumptioons, always a dangeropus thing to do. You are ASSUMING the bees I refered to were those supplied by another forum user. THEY ARE NOT. Do a little research before making such assumptions, or to put it another way, engage your brain before operating your gob. If you would care to look at a post of mine of 14th inst. you will see I was extolling the virtues of those bees to the gentleman that supplied them, am I then likely to descend into total disaster in 2 weeks ? I think not.
You are clearly looking at the name of the poster and thinking, "I've crossed swords with him before, so here goes". By jumping the gun you are making yourself look silly, please don't blame me for that.
Just to add an N.B. I would like to make it common knowledge that the bees I was supplied with by another forum user are doing absolutely brilliantly and I would heartily recommend his bees to any potential buyer..

pipewrench, you profile indicates only 1 colony? from that, it would appear to the casual observer that the colony in question was the one supplied by a forum member??

pipewrench, you profile indicates only 1 colony? from that, it would appear to the casual observer that the colony in question was the one supplied by a forum member??
My appologies if my profile misleads people, unfortunately it is not something I think a lot about.
I think it would be better if I upgraded it to "Gone", I am sure that would please some.

My appologies if my profile misleads people, unfortunately it is not something I think a lot about.
I think it would be better if I upgraded it to "Gone", I am sure that would please some.

Really glad to hear that all's well with your bees (if not the forums:))

Save the petrol for your mower. 10 out of 10 well done

Symptoms with a DLQ can often look like EFB.

I also agree with RAB's comments.

And so do I. Which ones btw? Larvae change colour....melted appearance....trachae clearly visible....unnatural position in cells....possibly some roping....sunken, discoloured cappings, possible foul smell?

So the only one I can think of is pepperpot brood? And unlikely to be sealed bullet brood messing up the worker combs either.

If OP has been keeping bees for a lot longer than a few weeks it'd be interesting to hear what symptoms of EFB/DLQ alerted his suspicions? Always useful to know...there but by the... and all that :).

Anyhow better to call the SBI than not.

And so do I. Which ones btw? Larvae change colour....melted appearance....trachae clearly visible....unnatural position in cells....possibly some roping....sunken, discoloured cappings, possible foul smell?

So the only one I can think of is pepperpot brood? And unlikely to be sealed bullet brood messing up the worker combs either.

If OP has been keeping bees for a lot longer than a few weeks it'd be interesting to hear what symptoms of EFB/DLQ alerted his suspicions? Always useful to know...there but by the... and all that :).

Anyhow better to call the SBI than not.

Excuse my ignorance but I thought ropiness was AFB only? Got my basic very soon so please correct me if necessary.

engage your brain before operating your gob

Only going on what information you supplied. Can't really help it if you give erroneous details. No good being sorry after the event, when you could have engaged your brain just a little bit.

Anyone who had bought bees from that same supplier would have come to the same conclusion.

unfortunately it is not something I think a lot about.

Ther may be a better way of making that comment.

You are clearly looking at the name of the poster and thinking, "I've crossed swords with him before, so here goes".

Utter rubbish. You are now telling me what I think? You are not even remotely close. I could not care less who is posting - if the post makes sense. I don't even recall your username (yes, you were that important). You must have made some stupid remarks previously, then? Maybe I will look back, or maybe I won't bother.

am I then likely to descend into total disaster in 2 weeks ? I think not.

You may not think, but I, and a lot of others, have seen it all before.

Now you have thrown your toys out of the pram, I will remember your username and treat your posts even more carefully than previously.

Which ones btw

Neglected drone brood layed in worker cells,and never reaching capping stage,similar appearance to EFB to the inexperianced.

Calm down, calm down.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been reading this forum for over a year now. There are clearly some very helpful and knowledgeable people on here from whom those with less knowledge can all benefit.Surely that's the idea of such a forum.

That said communication should be in a polite way.
Why is it that more and more that I notice people using this forum are being insulting or / or aggressive on this forum?

I am no shrinking violet and have no problem with a frank exchange of views. That said why can't we all behave like ladies and gentlemen. Time for us ALL to show each other a little more tolerance and respect I think.

Latest posts

Back