bee inspector visit??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was in the middle of my work when my wife suddenly called and said that we had a bee inspector visit who wanted to go trough my hives. I was pretty surprised because i am not a member of any association and haven't asked anybody to come an inspect my bees. as i wasn't at home he left his card and was polite and everything and left. i don't mind him coming but just has he got the right to jump in like this and demand inspection?

Lauri

Yes, think so.

We have a few outbreaks of EFB in the South and I hope our inspectors are on the ball - just be politely, firmly, emphatic re using only your hive tools- -his gloves must be new and suit pristine.

Lauri,

They can't inspect if you don't want it.
Have you registered with Beebase as this might be where they got your address. If not then a fellow beek had dobbed you in it :cuss:

I registered with BeeBase approx 5 weeks ago and had an inspection of both hives last week. It was dry : about the only time here it was that day.
Very helpful. He found bald brood in one hive.

Can throughly recommend a visit...

"Bee Inspectors have powers to enter any premises at any
time to inspect colonies, especially if pests or disease are thought to be present.
However, they always prefer to work alongside beekeepers with their full cooperation.
All Bee Inspectors carry a warrant card, which contains their photograph and details of
their authority to carry out the inspection."

This is a quote from this document:

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadDocument.cfm?id=20

Yes, think so.

We have a few outbreaks of EFB in the South and I hope our inspectors are on the ball - just be politely, firmly, emphatic re using only your hive tools- -his gloves must be new and suit pristine.
Our inspector uses his own hive tool, nitrile gloves which he throws away between hives . he carries a bucket containing washing soda and hot water (his hive tools are transported in this solution ;).
The bee inspector has a statutory right to examine your bees whether your a member of a society or not.
I had a friend (passed on now) who challenged this statute ( the wording of) ,claiming that the way he read it meant examine but not handled . He won his point (awkward old cuss) . To no avail as the ambiguity was promptly rectified :rofl:.

John Wilkinson

If you register on Beebase and list your telephone no. they usually 'phone first to make an appointment.

Perhaps he saw that excellent honesty box at your door.

I had the same thing happen my other half delt with him. this happened on the 7th of july .

I checked my hive yesterday evening and it is queenless with 3 sealed queen cells I hope he wasnt clumsy my other half did say he seemed to be banging my frames rather hard to clear them.

Lauri, I wonder id they're increasing inspections and vigilance after the "Wallingford report"? Depends which side of Abingdon you are (moved a long time ago so can't remember distances...).

Mine sent me a letter saying I had been selected for a random survey.

I called him and asked why as I had been inspected already. Not being awkward but am in the middle of a large scale and delicate operation at some considerable expense which I do not want interfered with.

Answer was he had brought me up at random on his computer base. Fair enough.

Then he said as my bees are no longer at the site he has me registered for he has to find another site to inspect. Said bye and as I put the phone down I thought hmm he never asked me where the bees actually are!

Very odd.

PH

Similar thread different forum......

One of our association members is a seasonal bee inspector, very useful to have around.

By regulations they should
1) Change their suits between apiaries (sometimes between hives if they find something nasty)
2) Carry their tools in a sterilizing solution 1kg of washing soda to 1 gallon water
3) Clean their tools between hives - which incidentally cleans their gloves
They all also carry test kits for EFB and AFB - usually in the pockets of their suits
They can impose a binding standstill order banning the movement of hives or kit from an apiary.

As to the Random Apiary Survey (RAS) it's part of the statistical sampling of UK Apiaries which is part of a 2 year program to monitor and map bee viruses and diseases.
There are links on Beebase if you want full details..

And I only know most of this as our inspector did a full inspection and RAS at one of our members apiaries on Sunday (Yesterday).

Lauri,

They can't inspect if you don't want it.
Have you registered with Beebase as this might be where they got your address. If not then a fellow beek had dobbed you in it :cuss:
Sorry wilderness I'm afraid they can, with or without your assistance although they prefare it :boxing_smiley:

John Wilkinson

They certainly can,and i believe they have even greater powers than the police regards right to enter and inspect hives in your apairy,not meaning the police would want to inspect your bee's of course...lol.

i haven't registered myself anywhere and not going to at the moment. It just seems a bit weird for me that any guy who claims to be a bee inspector can go trough your hives even without your permission. At the end of the day these are my bees and my hives - kind of a personal property in my eyes. I will call him tomorrow and ask what was the reason\purpose for that visit.

Lauri

i haven't registered myself anywhere and not going to at the moment. It just seems a bit weird for me that any guy who claims to be a bee inspector can go trough your hives even without your permission. At the end of the day these are my bees and my hives - kind of a personal property in my eyes. I will call him tomorrow and ask what was the reason\purpose for that visit.

Lauri

oH...buuuuggggger..... have registered but can logon on, as had a senior moment...one of many... is the login your email address for BeeBase and do they send you a password,,?

tried all my usual combi .. o login failed

Unfortunately your bees cease being your bees when they are flying freely :(.
They can spread infection to other peoples bees and spread afb efb el rapido ,hence the regulations !
As regards registration ; bee keepers are a canny lot and soon let the inspectorate know of any hives in their district.
Nothing underhand ,just protecting their own interests :svengo:

John Wilkinson

guy who claims to be a bee inspector

Lauri

There was an email last year sent round my Local assoation about an Ex inspector that had more spare time on his hands that still thought he was an inspector.

Just used to turn up at peoples houses:auto:

But I did have a visit from a proper inspector last year, and I am 100% behind the system.

As regards registration ; bee keepers are a canny lot and soon let the inspectorate know of any hives in their district.
Nothing underhand ,just protecting their own interests :svengo:

There was talk in our last county newsletter of the association automatically passing on members details to the inspectorate, but some will still slip through the net no matter what.

There is an AFB hot spot near Scarborough, crops up year after year, anyone with any sense would have given up keeping bees there years ago, ok you can get spores living for decades, so it's either a feral colony or more probably an unregistered beek.

MM - they email you a user name and password. I had a visit within 5 days of registering as the inspector was in the area. Very helpful to a beginner, he could see what was what straight away, give me 1:1 advice and I could ask all those stupid questions without anyone hearing :blush5:

Blue

I had a visit from the inspector last year to take random samples for testing. He was most helpful and did a full inspection of asll my hives. I logged into beebase last week as I had never received the results of the tests on my samples. They are still pending!!! Does it normally take 10 months for the results to be sent/posted?

Latest posts

Back