Bee Inspector Visit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
I was called by the local Bee Disease Inspector yesterday to tell me he was in the area and noted I had not been visited in my current location (and I was newly registered on BeeBase)

He said that he was going through BeeBase as there was a local outbreak in Bath of disease and, while not a concern, wanted to check up.

I said that I would be a little worried if he inspected 6 colonies as one was a new swarm bedding in, 3 were new nucs and 2 were nucs awating virgins emerging/mating.

He was happy to delay for a few weeks, and also in the mean time I said I would let local beeks know he would be in the area if they also wanted a check-up, which I am sure they will.

Interesting that BeeBase was his starting point - it obviously works and I would urge all new beeks and those who haven't registered to do so.

regards

S

I'll be interested to see what he says about your Warre hive.

mine are coming off the rape tomorrow, so they will all be in one place... (sort of!)

Members of our local association don't need to be on beebase
The local regional inspector is an association member and regular attendee at the apiary meetings so he knows which of us have bees.

what tosh!
Beebase is a national thing, linked with defra, or whatever its called. Not the "old boys network".
It is used for lots of issues.

... it obviously works and I would urge all new beeks and those who haven't registered to do so.

I'd second that. I had my first visit not long after registering 2 years ago. It was very informative and also reassuring that nothing was amiss. My second visit was at my request back in February this year after a colony died out. Again it was informative and the sample taken away for tests proved there were no problems (in this instance they starved after becoming isolated from the stores).

The most important reason for joining beebase is to be informed if there is a foulbrood outbreak near your bees.

So many people are starting to keep bees at the moment...

We've found Beebase a darn sight more helpful and efficient than BBKA so far.

You people are all like sheep to the slaughter.... Government interferance!

The less information you give government officials the better for the industry. Its only a matter of time it becomes law to be able to keep bees, then followed by taxes and EU rules.

TELL THEM NOTHING!!

Busy Bee

The less information you give government officials the better for the industry. Its only a matter of time it becomes law to be able to keep bees, then followed by taxes and EU rules.

TELL THEM NOTHING!!

Busy Bee

So the less people that know of an EFB/AFB outbreak the better then??
If they dont have your details they cant warn you of any outbreaks in your area. I for one am very very happy with the service frovided by FERA.

Maybe you should be the "you people" for not doing it.

TELL THEM NOTHING!!

Busy Bee

Good luck with your bees if there is an out break near you that spreads because all those near you thought the same way and kept quiet they had it.

I'd go nuts if I found some idiot near me had a notifiable disease and deliberately did not get their bees checked.

Being on beebase and interacting in a positive way with inspectors is a part of good bee husbandry. The inspectors are knowledgeable and helpful people who have your bees interests at heart. At a national level, increasing the knowledge of the real state of bee health through inspection, rather than anecdote is also important.

Its only a matter of time it becomes law to be able to keep bees,

You mean like a lot of other livestock! If so, roll on that day, I have nothing to hide and look forward to informative knowledge of a bee inspector

On one hand people are complaining about bee losses, then you get idiots saying they do not and will not help out other if there is a problem.

Last edited:
If we get an invasion of small hive beattles it would be nice to think the nbu would know all the beekeepers in the area around the oubreak so as to try and contain it.
I'm on beebase despite my reservations about government databases and I think every responsible beekeeper should be too

Tell em , nothing ?
Long standing bee keepers are a canny lot . Not a lot in a district gets by them :) especially the whereabouts of other beekeepers registered or not !!
The bee inspectorate will be duly informed and a statutory visit will be organised PDQ :troll:.

John Wilkinson

TELL THEM NOTHING!!

Busy Bee

I'm very interested in your theory about taxes and EU rules, please explain further.

my guess is maybe we'll have to pay tax on any income we have from selling products of the hive, maybe we could call that one income tax? what about paying tax on the equipment that we buy? aye, that one is covered.

what about the EU rules? maybe it should be law that we have to notify the relevant authority if we have a notifiable disease? yep, I think that one is already covered as well :)

is there anything else that can be taxed or ruled?

If we get an invasion of small hive beattles it would be nice to think the nbu would know all the beekeepers in the area around the oubreak so as to try and contain it.
I'm on beebase despite my reservations about government databases and I think every responsible beekeeper should be too

I recently heard that it's not just ports and to a lesser extent airports that are potential sources for a SHB outbreak but locations that handle imported fruit down the supply chain are right near the top of the list. Many big cities will have large wholesale markets, often in low lying areas, not far from rivers where many will keep bees.

<edit>

Farming Today this morning had a segment on SHB which mentioned these issues. Mike Brown from NBU interviewed.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/farming/farming_20100611-0700a.mp3

Last edited:
Good god the problem is worse thatn I fisrt thought. You lot are already infected. All you have to do is take a look at the farming industry and how they have been treated by governments and the EU.

The regulations laid down is outrageous. The government will stop at nothing in controlling our lives, its about time people in the UK stopped doing what the government tells them.

People talk and rave about freedom. What freedom there is none anymore. Is the Bees the last front for the Authorities to get thier meddling hands on. Yiz have been warned. TELL THEM NOTHING.

Busy Bee

Back