Bee ID please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Bees

Bumblebee
Reaction score
Had a call yesterday about bees in a wall.

I reckon early mining bees.

What does the forum say?

TIA

Attachments

• Bee ID 1.png
    Bee ID 1.png
    453.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Bee ID 2.PNG
    Bee ID 2.PNG
    717.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Bee ID 3.PNG
    Bee ID 3.PNG
    508.4 KB · Views: 54
Is that the wall (how high up?) or the ground? If it's a wall, it's more likely to be a mason bee.

Is that the wall (how high up?) or the ground? If it's a wall, it's more likely to be a mason bee.

I know what you mean, but look at the colouring - definitely not a red mason bee, and definitely not a blue mason bee. Are there any other kinds?

Bee ID 2 could be a red mason bee. The third picture - may not be as the thorax is darker than some photos of them. That's why I asked if they are in a wall or on the ground as a minimg bee will not be likely to be high up in a wall.

Bee ID 2 could be a red mason bee. The third picture - may not be as the thorax is darker than some photos of them. That's why I asked if they are in a wall or on the ground as a minimg bee will not be likely to be high up in a wall.

I didn't think mining bees went in walls either, but maybe there's an earth bank behind it - I'll asl

Anyway, no-one thinks these could be honeybees, right?

I didn't think mining bees went in walls either, but maybe there's an earth bank behind it - I'll asl

Anyway, no-one thinks these could be honeybees, right?
This article Red Mason Bee (Osmia rufa)-life cycle part (1) suggests the will use a pre existing hole in the mortar of a wall if available. I heard about a nest in an old overflow pipe from a disused water tank in a house the other day. The article certainly suggests that just about anything with a hole in it that can be made into a nest will be utilised.

This article Red Mason Bee (Osmia rufa)-life cycle part (1) suggests the will use a pre existing hole in the mortar of a wall if available. I heard about a nest in an old overflow pipe from a disused water tank in a house the other day. The article certainly suggests that just about anything with a hole in it that can be made into a nest will be utilised.
I think you're right
Last summer Stan and I took down an ancient pyracantha our house wall. Removing its support left a multitude of deep holes in the stone. Even as we were removing the screws mason bees were in the holes investigating them. Needless to say the wall remains peppered with holes filled now with bee cocoons. In the last few days the males, newly emerged, have been hawking them for the females about to

I think you're right
Last summer Stan and I took down an ancient pyracantha our house wall. Removing its support left a multitude of deep holes in the stone. Even as we were removing the screws mason bees were in the holes investigating them. Needless to say the wall remains peppered with holes filled now with bee cocoons. In the last few days the males, newly emerged, have been hawking them for the females about to

But do any type of mason bee have black abdomens like the bees in the photo?

Latest posts

Back