bee hunting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand this post... Hunting bees (shotgun in hand) or spotting bees (with camera, notepad, etc) :) ?

Hope you find the Vorpal Sword to kill the Jabberwocky.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand this post... Hunting bees (shotgun in hand) or spotting bees (with camera, notepad, etc) :) ?

you might enjoy reading this book then:

Bee Hunting, A Book of Valuable Information for Bee Hunters - Tell How to Line Bees to Trees etc by John Ready Lockard

http://archive.org/details/beehuntingabooko34044gut

Another good overview:

1992 Wenner, A.M., J.E. Alcock, and D.E. Meade. Efficient hunting of feral colonies. Bee Science 2:64-70.

http://www.beesource.com/point-of-view/adrian-wenner/efficient-hunting-of-feral-colonies/

Last edited:
That made a lot more sense - I had visions of some hungry children sat at the dinner table looking eagerly at the small bowl of fried bees that dad had managed to catch.

I thought I'd found an alternative suggestion to colony collapse :)

I find that fried bree brood makes a tasty and nutritious snack... to badly misquote Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently.. The holistic detective!

?

Whats wrong with Bee Hunting found a big swarm in a meadow in a tree,great day

Whats wrong with Bee Hunting found a big swarm in a meadow in a tree,great day

One of your's or somebody else's ? Getting quite late in the season for swarms ...

So you have a technique for bee hunting that you could share ?: ... Most people on here seem to wait until swarms find bait hives or get reported by people who don't want a swarm in the back garden - or are collecting their own bees that have swarmed.

method to hunt bees

One of your's or somebody else's ? Getting quite late in the season for swarms ...Required plate of Honey , some Blue dye powder, thats all I needed and a good GPS. This was a ferrel swarm I found didn't belong to anybody else, if you want to know my method then inbox me and I will gladly explain.

So you have a technique for bee hunting that you could share ?: ... Most people on here seem to wait until swarms find bait hives or get reported by people who don't want a swarm in the back garden - or are collecting their own bees that have swarmed.
Required plate of Honey , some Blue dye powder, thats all I needed and a good GPS. This was a ferrel swarm I found didn't belong to anybody else, if you want to know my method then inbox me and I will gladly explain.

Required plate of Honey , some Blue dye powder, thats all I needed and a good GPS. This was a ferrel swarm I found didn't belong to anybody else, if you want to know my method then inbox me and I will gladly explain.

Hi norfolkchance,
Your obviously 'beelining' with modern equipment. How exciting is that! Do tell the forum.

Box

Hi norfolkchance,
Your obviously 'beelining' with modern equipment. How exciting is that! Do tell the forum.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uASGkB65GzY"]Bee Box and Bee Hunting - YouTube[/ame] not the way I would do it but not far off

Are you not most likely to find a colony rather than a swarm if so do you just go somewhere else and try again?

Thanks for that Norfolk, very interesting.

And exactly the sought of little gem that I mine this forum for.

+rep for you!

Oh... We haven't enabled that bit yet... :(

gadget

Thanks for that Norfolk, very interesting.

And exactly the sought of little gem that I mine this forum for.

+rep for you!

Oh... We haven't enabled that bit yet... :(

My tutor has one a bit like that same method but he also put a wheel with hole in it plastic so he could release when ever easier one at a time will put pic on here tomorrow of it. Has he got some little gems stored in his head I know so, hes an excellent tutor, doesnt believe in his ability when it comes to bees, But hes a Lgend in my eyes will be adding more little helpers when I can, and by the way he made his gadget well before the you tube one, but he uses the plate of honey one when we hunt, He says theres a lot you can tell by bees feeding on a plate u can check for varoa, how Big the swarm is how many there are by amount that return,etc etc

"how Big the swarm is"

as per previous - it's established colonies you're looking for NOT swarms.

swarm is NOT the catch all term for a colony of bees.

ferral

"how Big the swarm is"

as per previous - it's established colonies you're looking for NOT swarms.

swarm is NOT the catch all term for a colony of bees.
its mostly ferral I look for. I have a place I go to that is miles off beaten track and no property within5 miles, I like the feral bees, more of a challenge, if im nr buildings or property I wont do it because keeping sight is my main problem, In a valley so much easier to follow, nearer the river arun the better

My tutor has one a bit like that same method but he also put a wheel with hole in it plastic so he could release when ever easier one at a time will put pic on here tomorrow of it. Has he got some little gems stored in his head I know so, hes an excellent tutor, doesnt believe in his ability when it comes to bees, But hes a Lgend in my eyes will be adding more little helpers when I can, and by the way he made his gadget well before the you tube one, but he uses the plate of honey one when we hunt, He says theres a lot you can tell by bees feeding on a plate u can check for varoa, how Big the swarm is how many there are by amount that return,etc etc

So .... to clarify for my education ... you are not hunting swarms ... what you are finding is a feral colony living in a tree ... so what do you do then ? Cut them out ?

My understanding of swarms is that they are not out looking for food - they are just looking for a new home and are stuffed with honey which they took with them for the journey. The only bees out flying from a swarm are scouts usually looking for new premises ... not foragers looking for honey.

I don't understand ... anyone else able to enlighten me ?

Latest posts

Back