bee hives stolen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfly

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
six beehives have been stolen in Herefordshire again, this time from the Vowchurch area. They have HPB branded on them.

six beehives have been stolen in Herefordshire again, this time from the Vowchurch area. They have HPB branded on them.

It's sad that branding hives is no longer a deterrent to thieves.

I hope these hives get found, complete with bees.

It's sad that branding hives is no longer a deterrent to thieves.
I don't think it ever was - bees get taken out and either put in a fresh hive or split into nucs and the kit burnt.
Wouldn't be surprised if they shook swarm the lot so they can burn the frames as well.

Not so sure, temptation after going to trouble of stealing would be to keep the expensive kit.
Only my opinion but odds on they would think, and probably rightly so they are home and dry.
Easy to paint, fill, sand as required to render hives mostly unrecognizable.

Not so sure, temptation after going to trouble of stealing would be to keep the expensive kit.
Only my opinion but odds on they would think, and probably rightly so they are home and dry.
Easy to paint, fill, sand as required to render hives mostly unrecognizable.

Most of my hives would be indistinguishable from the common herd even to my own eye, but some have minor idiocyncrasies that I'd recognise at a glance even after a bit of sanding and a lick of paint, god help any bee rustlers caught, I don't think the police need get involved.

Chop their fingers off. We are way to soft in dealing with the likes of thieves. They give up their human rights once they act like animals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chop their fingers off. We are way to soft in dealing with the likes of thieves. They give up their human rights once they act like animals

They'd be a burden on the welfare state for years. Strip them and whip them round the town like the town bailiffs would do in the 1600s. Cheaper and more likely to remain in their minds as a deterrent against repetition.

I suppose branding the frames may help, put your name and telephone number on the frames perhaps. But then again I don't think it will deter thieves TBH.

Last edited:
I suppose branding the frames you help, put your name and telephone number on the frames perhaps. But then again I don't think it will deter thieves TBH.

In the past the MO has been to shook swarm the hives and burn the frames

:nono: Then they will qualify for benefit!! and tax payer forks out!! just do what the Russians do, a teaspoon of Polonium in their tea!! works wonders!!! Or the Saudis, take you up in a Plane, open the door ans say, if you make it to the ground, you free!! fat Vultures in the desert!

Last edited:
BEST CORNISH BLACK BEE HONEY FOR SALE sign stolen from one of the " Fresh veg & Garden centers " we supply... last year, reappeared a few days later by the gate to a fellow beekeepers out apiary..... minus the hanging chain!

I brand everything.

Yeghes da

This whole this worries me to the highest degree. i have apiaries hidden as much as possible and the 99.9999% of people here are good honest people. However its the tiny majority who have a van and a Man, and the hives are loaded and gone.
When you put so much work in to putting hives together, then filling them with bees it must be heartbreaking!!
I am seriously considering the use of hidden location chips. but, if bees are loaded in a lorry thats got metal sides and roof you loose the signal. Its a lot of money!!
Camera traps at your apiaries are also an option, but these can get taken too!!
i am not sure if branding makes much difference. I know my hives, and like "MBC" says mine are unique because we use a different screws etc and make our own roofs! totally unique!
it certainly wouldn't be local beekeepers or professional. These are organised and already have a market lined up!!
the only thing i reckon might be good it a tripwire that leads to a shot blast thingy. All my apiaries are close to houses, that might just be the best way!!

I don't think there can be any guaranteed safeguards, I have apiaries visible from the road without locked gates or any real deterent and rely solely on having a good relationship with the people who live and work locally, it's worked so far but then there's very little crime round here.

I still think the best deterrent is a very strong ground anchor under the hive and a heavy duty chain and padlock passing through the stand and through an eye bolt on the roof. By the time they have seen that lot they are on their way to someone else's hives ... You have to be a pretty determined thief to hang about long enough to move anything that is chained down and is going to take a time to release.

I still think the best deterrent is a very strong ground anchor under the hive and a heavy duty chain and padlock passing through the stand and through an eye bolt on the roof. By the time they have seen that lot they are on their way to someone else's hives ... You have to be a pretty determined thief to hang about long enough to move anything that is chained down and is going to take a time to release.

A 1 meter bolt crops will remove them in less than a second. thieves will stake a place out first and they will know the quickest plan of action before they remove the hives or bees. Geese would be a better option.

Bolt the stand with security rawl bolts to a 3ft x2ft paving slab then screw the hive floor to the stand, i know they could cut the the stand legs with a hand saw, if i was worried i would also screw angle iron to the hive legs and drill the screws , it will be more of an inconvenience and maybe enough to deter any thieves.

Latest posts

Back