Bee Hives on Allotments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is more to do with flight paths changing depending on forage available as much as you try to control it and lift them if the allotment is large then the can end up back at head height before they leave the allotment limits.

Again, whilst I understand that raising the bees above head height is a sensible thing to do, it is only in the context of unnecessarily concerning people who have bees bump into them. Bees bumping into people on their way to/from the hive is not 'pinging'. They bounce off and carry on. They have a job to do.

In Newcastle the council were very supportive but wanted a set of rules/guidelines for beekeepers to follow. Below is the outcome.

Having an out apiary in case of problems would be a possible addition.

Newcastle Allotments Bee Group (NABG)
rules, recommendations and advice for Allotment honeybeekeeping

An excellent set of guidelines. Well done Newcastle!

How would anyone prove it was your bees that did the stinging!

I don't really think its a matter of whether the bee can be traced to any one hive. Its about having a bit of thought for others and not just the bees we keep, and that in the beginning allotment holders can be all for the pollination but they are allowed to change their mind.

Last edited:
It's all about being responsible and part of that responsibility is the welfare of others. If you've not been pinged or stung when crossing flight paths, it does not mean it won't happen, it does. If there was no chance of this happening, why would there be advice recommending a clear flight path? Because of this we do our best to direct our bees away from paths and other areas likely to see activity. We should also be aware and considerate, not everyone shares our love of these creatures and in exactly the same way you would control and remove your dog (regardless that he is a friendly little chap) if a nearby youngster was frightened, we should take every measure that our activity has no impact on anyone else. It's the decent, courteous thing to do.
Being stung is not nice and I would advise some sympathy and genuine concern rather than shrugging your shoulders and a wise crack like "How do you know it was one of mine?"
Many years ago I had a neighbour whose Cocker Spaniel would wander around and $h!t in various gardens. He was confronted about it one morning and replied "Tell you what, if you can fit it back up his @r$e I'll accept it was my dog who did it."

We should be better than that.

It's all about being responsible and part of that responsibility is the welfare of others. If you've not been pinged or stung when crossing flight paths, it does not mean it won't happen, it does. If there was no chance of this happening, why would there be advice recommending a clear flight path? Because of this we do our best to direct our bees away from paths and other areas likely to see activity. We should also be aware and considerate, not everyone shares our love of these creatures and in exactly the same way you would control and remove your dog (regardless that he is a friendly little chap) if a nearby youngster was frightened, we should take every measure that our activity has no impact on anyone else. It's the decent, courteous thing to do.
Being stung is not nice and I would advise some sympathy and genuine concern rather than shrugging your shoulders and a wise crack like "How do you know it was one of mine?"
Many years ago I had a neighbour whose Cocker Spaniel would wander around and $h!t in various gardens. He was confronted about it one morning and replied "Tell you what, if you can fit it back up his @r$e I'll accept it was my dog who did it."

:thanks:

:iagree:

It's all about being responsible and part of that responsibility is the welfare of others.

I think we would all agree with that, but that is a world away from not doing it in the first place in case it might inconvenience somebody at some point.

Also, my benevolence would be tested if they demanded the removal of the hives, and showed me a dead bumble as their attacker.

What would you do in that situation, where they point blank refused to accept it couldnt have been one of your bees?

Like most things in life, it is about striking a healthy balance.

My allotment association (self managed not Local Authority) are very encouraging about me keeping bees on my plot for which I am grateful.
I would however commend Nottingham City Council as they permit bees on their sites on condition that the keeper can demonstrate that he or she has a degree of competence having at least attended a basic introduction course. In my humble opinion this is the way forward as too many keepers of bees take on a colony with no or very little knowledge as regurlarly revealed on this forum. By at least starting to grasp the vagaries of colony management there is then some degree of due diligence being shown

I have Bee's on an Allotment.
They have been there 3 years now and the Allotment keepers love them.

I have during that time had 4 Allotment holders report that they have been stung. Not complaints as such, just informing me.
Each time I promised that I would have a word with the culprits, and then reported back to the Allotment keeper that the Bees were sorry, and then gave them a small 8oz jar of Honey 'From the Bee's'

At the end of last summer I did have 2 Allotment holders report being stung in the same week. When I checked the Bees I found them less than calm, so I returned early the following morning and moved them, replacing them with a Hive from my Garden.
I made sure that the Allotment Holders were aware of my actions so that they could see I had taken their comments seriously, and hopefully prevented any loss of confidence on their part.

I still get asked "How are those Bees that you moved"

At the end of the day the Allotment holders put a lot of work into their hobby, and I for one wouldnt want to mess things up for them.
I would move my Bees off the site tomorrow if the Allotment Association requested it.

I have Bee's on an Allotment.
They have been there 3 years now and the Allotment keepers love them.

I have during that time had 4 Allotment holders report that they have been stung. Not complaints as such, just informing me.
Each time I promised that I would have a word with the culprits, and then reported back to the Allotment keeper that the Bees were sorry, and then gave them a small 8oz jar of Honey 'From the Bee's'

At the end of last summer I did have 2 Allotment holders report being stung in the same week. When I checked the Bees I found them less than calm, so I returned early the following morning and moved them, replacing them with a Hive from my Garden.
I made sure that the Allotment Holders were aware of my actions so that they could see I had taken their comments seriously, and hopefully prevented any loss of confidence on their part.

I still get asked "How are those Bees that you moved"

sounds like you have a great relationship with the allotment holders, just how it should be. Love the idea of chatting with the culprits - will remember that one lol

Latest posts

Back