bee hedge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi All
I am thinking of planting a hedge at the bottom of the garden at the back of my fence (80FT long), bare root if possible I know its getting on for planting bare root but we are a good 3 weeks behind also I will regulary water during the summer.
I was thinking of a mix blackthorn Hawthorn and Rosa rugosa ......
What else could I put in , postion full sun on the dry side sloping down to the river
Any advice appreciated

Grub

I have just orderd Escallonia Appleblossom, pyracantha Coccinea red, and Vivernum Tinus (all 2 -3 litre pots)for our new out apiary as a protection from wind etc. plus a load of Blackthorn bare root (41p each).
If you need a lot then Jones Shrub supplier is a good bet. Only drawback is delivery charge £50 (ish- you can push for cheaper)- but up to 200 plants in one pallet so works out well. We have bought 70 shrubs for £170

I planted some willow rods a couple of foot outside my fence where it back onto a track. :)

I felt naughty at the time and expect them to require a bit of coppicing on a regular annual basis.

We had a Rosa rugosa hedge down one side of our garden it's great if You want to keep out intruders the thorns break off under your skin it's virtually impossible to get them all out and the ones You miss go septic, if You plant three rows and stager them they will grow into analmost inpenetrable hedge the flowers are very fragrant but the stems are downright nasty, like a cross between a rose and a cactus with seeds from the rose hips droping on the lawn and sprouting up where You don't want them to, we had a single row and they were such a nightmare to maintain we dug them all up and got rid of them, that was an even worse nightmare, if I wanted to to hide some hives I would consider planting them either side of a fence around the perimiter of an out apiary but I won't plant them in my garden again

Fushia.

A great deal of Irish honey comes from the fushia in the field hedges. A friend of mine in Shetland gets a lot of honey from fushia too. so it does flow in lowish temps.

Another good one, for early season is Gean.

PH

I`ve got Goat willow, Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Pyracantha, Gorse & Crab apple in my hedges. A little bit of something for the whole year especially if you grow a bit of ivy through it when they`ve grown up.

Darren.

We had a Rosa rugosa hedge down one side of our garden it's great if You want to keep out intruders the thorns break off under your skin it's virtually impossible to get them all out and the ones You miss go septic, if You plant three rows and stager them they will grow into analmost inpenetrable hedge the flowers are very fragrant but the stems are downright nasty, like a cross between a rose and a cactus with seeds from the rose hips droping on the lawn and sprouting up where You don't want them to, we had a single row and they were such a nightmare to maintain we dug them all up and got rid of them, that was an even worse nightmare, if I wanted to to hide some hives I would consider planting them either side of a fence around the perimiter of an out apiary but I won't plant them in my garden again

Like the sound of these:cheers2:
Thanks everyone for advice, willow is all along the river bank and I have OSR half mile from house acres and acres so just the bees to arive:)

Grub

catonyasta (probably terribly spelt)both the fishbone and the bushy one are fantastic for bees and buterflies

catonyasta (probably terribly spelt)both the fishbone and the bushy one are fantastic for bees and buterflies
Hi
As if Iam going to tell anyone off with spelling I know the one you mean has little red berries and small leaves Cotoneaster .
I have two red hot pocker plants ones called bees Flame & Bees Lemon I went a bit mad got a clematis Bees Jubilee I supose we could go on and on ....and not forgeting Hedgerow Pete a must have in all hedgerows LOL

Thanks
Grub

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back