Bee friendly insecticide

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murox

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Is the BBKA still endorsing insecticide products as “bee friendly” and getting money form the agro chemical companies that make them ?

Is the BBKA still endorsing insecticide products as “bee friendly” and getting money form the agro chemical companies that make them ?
However, there are plenty of insecticides which do not kill bee hives.

Finman - what are they?

Do you mean like, boiling water on ant nests, or some more active chemical?

Finman - what are they?

Do you mean like, boiling water on ant nests, or some more active chemical?

Farmers spread them to their fields. They are not bees' friends, but they do not kill. But some insects they kill. That is why they are put onto fields.

Each plant has their own chemicals what are used during summer and according the insects.

The selectivity of insecticides is not the question. The question was about a charitable Beekeeping organisation endorsing certain products and taking money for those endorsements; specifically insecticide products.

From the BBKA website:

• Beekeeping organisations across Europe were concerned that agricultural pesticides were killing large number of bee colonies and succeeded in banning some pesticides. The BBKA took a different approach and worked with the agrochemical companies to promote specific pesticides and the safe use of pesticides. This approach caused a lot of concern with members and although the policy was endorsed at three Annual Delegates Meetings (ADM) in 2010 the BBKA decided to stop the endorsement but still work with these companies. At this stage the temporary bans in Europe had been lifted.

https://www.bbka.org.uk/the-history-of-the-british-beekeepers-association
So I guess the answer is probably still yes, even if not an official endorsement?

As far as I was aware didn’t they pull out, quite frankly I thought the biggest issue was they didn’t hold out for enough money. But it was pre trendy beekeeping and save the bee we’re all going to die days, so guessing any income was a miracle.

Here's the problem though, that BBKA quote talks about 'Pesticide', which is an all encompassing word that can mean both insecticide as per the OP or herbicide which is still widely used on farms, Roundup (Glyphosate) for instance is quite common.

So the question is what do the BBKA mean by the all encompassing term?

Insectiside is such, which kills insects.

Couple years ago my fried farmer sprayed rape fields 6 times, and bugs ate the field.

Aphids are common nuisance on corn fields and so on. Read the of different plant species.

Then there are spraying against cryptocamics and lack of nutrients.

Latest posts

Back