Bee Food Patty

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenelephant

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
OK everyone. I'll try and keep this as simple and uncomplicated as I can.

Basically for unexpected circumstances I have had to make up a patty using

30% goldren Syrup
35% sugar
25% plain flour

The reason for this thread is I am not too sure whether I can feed my bees this patty I have made up using the formula above.

I have done some research into flour and I have found that some beekeepers have used soya flour in their patties with success. However I am not too sure whether I should feed this patty using plain flour.

To my understanding plain flour is classed as crude protein and as such isnt recoomended for bees. However due to unexpected circumstances I have had to make up this patty.

Question is this patty safe to use on honeybees? I know its not the most ideal ingredient (flour) but will they be ok?

thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Its the Golden Syrup that I'd be worried about.

Don't give bees 'brown' (or gold etc) sugar. Just white. Otherwise they get the runs.
And don't cook sugar so it shows ANY discolouration. Bees are easily poisoned by HMF - one of the breakdown products of sugar found in anything remotely caramelised.

Golden Syrup? Nah. Wrong for bees.

// and don't EVER give them shop-bought honey.

Wheat flour is lowish in protein. From 7% (soft flour, eg for sauces and sponge cakes) to about 16% (strong, eg Canadian, 'bread flour'.)
Doubt it would harm them, or do much good.
Soya flour is much higher in protein content. (Up to 50% for defatted soya flour, I think.)
It is often combined with yeast to give the bees a more complete range of the different, required, protein amino acids.

Your patties? Blend them into (human) biscuit making (or similar). Don't give them to the bees.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to feed anything like this to bees in this country, over the next few weeks give the bees as much thick syrup as they need to overwinter until next March/April, you can make this with either cane or beet sugar, they are both ok. Don't get into the habit as a lot of people do of giving bees candy/fondant through the winter months just leave them alone. Additional pollen subs. are very rarely required. most areas will have sufficient pollen for a hives needs. A lot of pollen will be gathered from the ivy over the next few weeks

Not sure why you felt the need to make patties at all, they are generally used for spring stimulation before there are enough flowers to yield pollen.

Wheat flour is not a replacement for soya flour, completely different animal. I've never heard of anyone giving it to bees and I certainly wouldn't want to be the first.

As ITMA says, golden syrup a no-no for bees.

I would chuck it out. Feed syrup made from white sugar this autumn. If you want to feed patties in the spring, follow a recipe.

My instant answer is no dump it.

My instant question is why do yo think you need to feed protein in the first place?

My next question is where in the UK are you, it's a huge place bee-wise and answers need to be tempered by location.

PH (like the nick though!)

Latest posts

Back