bee folklore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
I got hold of a book for over Xmas from the library called RED SKY AT NIGHT by Jane Struthers.
In one of the chapters at the front she does a piece about bees and since these sad and boring things entertain me here it is for everyone else. It’s also an excuse for why I talk to my bees.
“Bees were once referred to as little servants of god or small messengers of god, names which meant they had to be accorded due respect. One of the most important tasks of a bee keeper was to keep them informed of the latest news, because they were a part of the family and it was only polite to do so. If someone died it was told to the bees by tapping on the hive with the house key and the bees were then told of what was happening at the house. If you failed to keep the bees informed the penalties were severe with the bees being unhelpful or swarming as soon as the weather was right for them to leave.

When buying bees it was polite to never change money in front of the bees, changing the money at a distance away from their hive it was also polite to explain to the bees that they now had a new owner and if they were to disagree they could leave the hive straight away and the buyer could get hold of another hive that the seller had that would leave the apiary.

Better yet was to exchange the hive of bees for something useful like a sack of wheat

Can anyone remember what book tell's the story of the beekeeper who went on holiday leaving his daughter in charge of the hives same as most years.

When he returned his daughter said the bees had been a nightmare,they had stung and followed her.

He asked what had changed as the bees may of not been told of something different.

She said she was pregnant but had not informed the bees....

My wife tells the bees family news, mind you she has also been caught by a neighbour having a conversation with the dog so perhaps she just likes talking to animals. Or just talking.

Latest posts

Back