Bee Folklore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
I was asked at the weekend about how and where do bees fit into folklore?

I've read how it is good for the bees to be told the news of the village (not gossiping at all) and about a black ribbon needing to be put on a hive if the beekeepers dies. Any others come to mind?

If you tell your bees your problems then they will try and make life easier for you. I guess similar to the village gossip one!

Bee folklore

Here in Lincolnshire when the beekeeper passes on somebody goes to all their hives and tells the bees that their master has died.This has been done in our family for years.

You are also supposed to ask them to change alliegence to a new master - if you don't get permission they are supposed to leave...

I know Manchester has a long history with bees. The town hall floor has a bee and honeycomb mural on the floor in the main entrance hall. Also a few Manchester logos have bees in them and the Manchester coat of arms has bees on it I am told.

You've set me off now. I'm going to find out about it.....thanks for the question :)

There's an old tradition in Northumberland that you should never put a bee down the front of your trousers. I don't know the origin.

There's an old tradition in Northumberland that you should never put a bee down the front of your trousers. I don't know the origin.

Heeeheeeeheeeeeeeeee!!!

What about the back? Is that ok? :p

Back