Bee Facts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learner

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Is there a thread listing bee facts if not why not contribute a bee fact here some clever beek will know how to compile it I'm sure?

Remeber there are new members like me who would benefit from the input.:)

Is there a thread listing bee facts if not why not contribute a bee fact here some clever beek will know how to compile it I'm sure?

Remeber there are new members like me who would benefit from the input.:)
I'll start

1, bees are social insects.

Ted Hooper MBE, Guide to bees and honey, published by Northern Bee Books is an excellent source of bee facts and figures for the beginner, intermediate and advanced beekeeper.

You can read it as you go to sleep and it doesn't break if it falls on the floor. :)

Bees communicate through a mixture of pheromones and hive vibrations through 'tuned' comb.

Fact 1: 90% of forum discussion is not fact

Fact 2: positive nonsence is more wanted than negative fact.

Bees also sting (This can be VERY significant!).

Frustrating Fact:

While it is essential to read as much as possible about managing bees, it is equally essential to assume that they have not read the same books or articles as you!

Prolonged exposure to bees causes accelerated growth of facial hair and subsequently a large beard!

(not sure this is just a male beekeeper thing? Would any ladies like to comment?)

:blush5:

Prolonged exposure to bees causes accelerated growth of facial hair and subsequently a large beard!

Oh s..t
:willy_nilly:

The fuel consumption of a flying bee is about 0.5mg of honey per kilometre, or 3 million km (2 million miles) to the litre, (1.75 pints) !!

In providing 1kg of surplus honey, the colony has had to consume a further 8 kg to keep itself going, and probably covered a distance equal to six orbits of the earth....
at a fuel consumption of about 25g of honey for each orbit.
This is about 7 million miles to the gallon!

A pound of honey requires a total flight path of about three orbits of the earth, each orbit using up an ounce of honey as fuel.

Latest posts

Back