Bee Equipment cotton smoker fuel - warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Bees

Bumblebee
Reaction score
Be warned, Bee Equipment have changed the material in this product without changing the description.

Smoker Fuel, Cotton – Bee Equipment (bee-equipment.co.uk)

It used to be pure cotton fibres which burned very nicely, and cleanly, and were very handy for a quick inspection.

Now, it definitely isn't pure cotton. There are silvery man-made threads running through it, it has a completely different texture (very artificial), and it burns with an acrid chemically smoke. The way it "melts" together when lit is very non-natural.

Not something I, or bees I suspect, want to breathe in.

Just FYI

EDIT - To their credit, Bee Equipment have just emailed to say they are refunding me for this stuff, which is prompt service, so fair enough

Last edited:
Be warned, Bee Equipment have changed the material in this product without changing the description.

It used to be pure cotton fibres which burned very nicely, and cleanly, and were very handy for a quick inspection.

Now, it definitely isn't pure cotton. There are silvery man-made threads running through it, it has a completely different texture (very artificial), and it burns with an acrid chemically smoke. The way it "melts" together when lit is very non-natural.

Just FYI

EDIT - To their credit, Bee Equipment have just emailed to say they are refunding me for this stuff, which is prompt service, so fair enough
Are Bee Equipment going to change the description?

Are Bee Equipment going to change the description?

I guess we'll see. Maybe they have been short-changed by a supplier and hadn't realised it. I'll keep an eye on it, especially as I would actually like to buy more of the original product from them!

Just FYI

You mean you buy smoker fuel.😉

You mean you buy smoker fuel.😉

I do, but have to eat the eggs first :rolleyes:.
My lavvy supplies me fuel, trim it to shape in Autumn and let it dry over winter.

Always ask for a carry tray when ordering the coffee. It’s the same egg box material

My lavvy supplies me fuel, trim it to shape in Autumn and let it dry over winter.

I really don't see the need to use toilet by-products and as it close to bedtime I now have a vision I didn't want o_O

I really don't see the need to use toilet by-products and as it close to bedtime I now have a vision I didn't want o_O
Yes ... it took me a minute or three to get that vision out of my head until I thought ... ahhh - Lavender not dried whatever you were thinking about !

I’ve settled on shredded cardboard (to be found as packing in online sale orders of bee kit) lit and dropped in the bottom of the smoker. Then wood shavings (very large bale approx £7/8 local agricultural store) and finally some fresh grass to cool things down. As the smoker needs topping up, ball of grass out, top up shavings & grass back on. Smoker does get a bit coked up but no great fuss.

Yes ... it took me a minute or three to get that vision out of my head until I thought ... ahhh - Lavender not dried whatever you were thinking about !

Thank god! I thought we'd sunk to new depths last night.

I'm using the shavings from my thicknesser this season

A late uncle of mine, ex Royal Marine, did a stint on the Royal yacht Brittania he told me he knew one of the stewards who had a collection of Royal stools (and I don't mean items of furniture to rest your feet on) all dried and nicely varnished decorating his mantlepiece at home.
Brings a new meaning to the rhyming slang Richard the third!! :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

A late uncle of mine, ex Royal Marine, did a stint on the Royal yacht Brittania he told me he knew one of the stewards who had a collection of Royal stools (and I don't mean items of furniture to rest your feet on) all dried and nicely varnished decorating his mantlepiece at home.
Brings a new meaning to the rhyming slang Richard the third!! :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:
I think in historical times there was an official Royal position ~ 'Groom of the KIngs Stools'.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Groom-of-the-Stool/
Quite an important job at the time ....

I'm using the shavings from my thicknesser this season
I use hardwood wood shavings from my turnings ... I try and avoid pine and other softwoods in the smoker as they seem to give a slightly more acrid smoke and a lot of tar in the smoker. I've also taken to adding some dried lavender as well ... not that I ever use a great deal of smoke.

There is an "endless" supply of mainly pine wood chips close by, once dried it makes a great base fuel for the smoker, true it does produce more tar in the smoker but its freely available, as is a bit of half dried grass aka hay. Torn/cut up old denim jeans works well too.

Yes I should have said Lavender and forgot some of you have strange minds that think very differently.

Just FYI

I know they get quite a bit of stick at times for different reasons, but like you I’ve been dead impressed with their service. No quibbles. They call me last week to say they’d spotted I’d historically bought national paradise boxes and did I really want a Langstroth floor? Wow, great service.

I use shredded cardboard and wood shavings topped off with a liberal amount of dried alfalfa pellets. They burn very slowly with lots of smoke once they get going. Available from agricultural stores.

Ah Lavendar - that makes a lot more sense - I had horrific visions of something else altogether being shaped and left to dry over winter.... and as for why you'd buy that lord alone knows

Latest posts

Back