bee entrance and mouse g

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
at looking at my plans i need a few messurments on entrances.
I have a 5 inch long block with a 3/8 bee entrance in it so it 5 inch long 3/8 high gap.
This block of wood can be taken out completly which then leaves a gap the width of the hive at 7/8 high is this righ or way to high.
If i turn the floor over it leaves a gap the width of the hive at 3/8 which is right i think.
Ideas on this please.:cheers2:

Standard National entrance block is a tad under 7/8in square cross section, so when removed the entrance is 7/8in high, full width of hive.

Thanks repwoc
thats what i have writen here, just sounded big.

The solid floors are often reversible, so you takes your pick. OMFs - it dosn't make a jot of difference unless there is a gale blowing directly into the entrance! The only thing then is width of entrance for security checks on returning bees and bouncing duties on wasps.

Make an OMF. I am sure you will find it so much better than a solid floor.

Regards, RAB

at looking at my plans i need a few messurments on entrances.
I have a 5 inch long block with a 3/8 bee entrance in it so it 5 inch long 3/8 high gap.
This block of wood can be taken out completly which then leaves a gap the width of the hive at 7/8 high is this righ or way to high.
If i turn the floor over it leaves a gap the width of the hive at 3/8 which is right i think.
Ideas on this please.:cheers2:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/entranceblox.html

shows standard entrance blocks

thanks M M
Most helpfull link. i had a look on that site last night and the thing is there is so much there it's easy to miss

yes oliver i am going for a omf

Back