Bee Cosy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand now. I was googling it before had to look on face book to find out what it was.

As I posted on the facebook page total crap.

A tad harsh. It will reduce heat loss and I bet it really does reduce winter consumption of stores. And woodpeckers won't like it either. It just makes no economic sense that's all.

is there a web site for this or is it just a facebook thing (which I don't use)?

Responding to your Questions

In response to the comments above

- I began beekeeping in the summer of 2009

- In addition to the tests with a constant energy source with two identical hives commented on above I tested initial versions of the Bee Cosy last winter on two similar single brood hives

- Info on these tests is on the "Proving It Works" and "Why Insulate" pages on beecosy.com. I tried to give you the links direct but I don't have the 10 posts needed to share a link.

For 2 years now I have weighed my hives regularly to monitor stores and health

- There are various insulation solutions offered in the States - the Bee Cozy described above is a wrap - it does not cover the top of the hive - and shouldn't as it's not breathable + plus US hives have top entrances.

I have 4 hives with a mix of single, brood and a half and double brood arrangements and I am experimenting to see which is best for my exposed location at 800 ft with little real forage other than heather.

It has been a cold night here last night at 1C with a frost and a have a form of Bee Cosy on all four hives.

The best I can do to respond to the comments above is to take a Bee Cosy of one of these and show you all the effect.

The temperature outside now at 11am is 2.4C and the temperature inside my double brood hive under the roof is around 7.7C with a brood and a half Bee Cosy fitted. The weather is cold, still and foggy but with the chance of some sunshine.

I will come back later today and show you all the impact that removing the Bee Cosy has.

Chris

If it's specifically not for use with WBC's, why does your website specifically show a picture of a WBC? :confused:

The US configurations are top and bottom entrances. Bottom for house cleaning, top entrance if the bottom was to become blocked. The wrapped hives have bees at the top entrance. One website state they use black tar paper which I assume is roofing felt, which warms the hives on sunny days allowing bees to move around to their stores. No use of poly to insulate the hive with this one just to keep the side walls dry.
After reading the US websites your idea is good but not the price.

Last edited:
No particular reason - WBCs are a warmer hive without insulation + most people recognise them as the traditional hive

30 metres x 1 metre of UV-stabilised Bubble-Wrap for greenhouses - typically around £20 delivered.

Bee Cosy adds at least 2C to the temperature above the hive roof.

As promised earlier today, I have removed a Bee Cosy from a double brood hive in the cold but still conditions we have had today and determined the temperature lost from the body of air above and around the hive.

You can see the results by going to beecosy.com and clicking on the blog page "The Buzz". - Again sorry I cannot link you directly with only 3 posts made.

For those that visit this post later this blog entry will be the first in a series of tests that can be found in the category "tests".

Thank you Chris, I think this is great stuff. Is there anyway you can significantly reduce the costs here, China manufacture etc? At £65 to £80 it is very expensive, If it was £25 then I think you would sell loads (to me). At £80, it is cheaper for me to buy a new poly hive so the economics don't stack up. Many of here use and are aware of the benefits of poly hives which are far better than your cosy. That doesn't mean we have ditched our wood hives, just that we run both nowdays. You need to be able to compete for wood hives. Does international manufacture and larger numbers significantly alter your prices?

As I posted on the facebook page total crap.

We must try to accommodate every aspect of beekeepering / beemindering and take what you can from it!
Beekeeping does it seems tend to attract the wierd and wacky... that makes it so much more enjoyable methinks ?

Chris Bee Cosy

Just looked at your website - with all the new beeks spending fortunes on gear you should do alright (once they've had a really cold winter) but it does seem expensive for what is basically a cut-down sleeping bag.

Also suggest you add a few more (and bigger) pics.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back