Bee Connected alert message

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very technical, I suppose my question is should I close my hives onnsaturday being the day bee connected is due to spray. Presumably most other bee keepers with apiaries near OSR will have similar spraying with the same chemical.

It won't hurt to close them in the night before for a morning or day as long as they have ventilation and room to move about.
Are you able to get amore accurate time scale of spraying or know the farm having the spraying done to find out more info from them ?

Thymol based treatments –
Apiguard, Api Life Var – (not to be confused with Apivar.)

Chemical Treatments -
Amitraz
is the active ingredient in both Apitraz and Apivar.
MAQS - FORMIC ACID 68.2g
Apistan – Tau-fluvalinate 10.3% w/w. some resistance has been found.

Apibioxal – vaporised Oxalic based treatment.

And none registered/approved or tested for use on food producing livestock.
All are tested and approved on livestock I get them from the same suppliers as the named brands? All are available stockists online to anyone?

You said you make your own up, that's not the same thing.
Same thing as what? It's totally the same thing. All you have to know is the ingredients and quantity and get them in the same capacity? Its the same as baking a cake you just need the right ingredients. The only difference is that I pay pence per hive you pay in pounds. It's not the same if you pay for names no but the molecular structure doesn't change when you add a name or trademark

Last edited:
Making up your own concoction is not vmd approved for use on livestock and pretty sure a bee inspector would be intrigued about self certified quack remedies and no batch numbers that can be traced.

I agree with hemo on this, also a good productive colony is worth hundreds of pounds and a treatment of say apivar is the cost of a jar of honey, so not a lot of money when you look at the big picture.

Making up your own concoction is not vmd approved for use on livestock and pretty sure a bee inspector would be intrigued about self certified quack remedies and no batch numbers that can be traced.
Beekeepers making their own varroa treatment from OTC Amitraz were accused somewhere of treating their bees with sheep dip I seem to remember
Not good PR

Latest posts

Back