bee books

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uppy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi what do member of haynes new book the bee manual
thanks uppy newbee

Not read it but from previous unsuccessful experience of their car manuals......

I hae ma doots.

PH

I got a copy from the library and thought it was a good beginners books - lots of good quality clear photos and diagrams, and a fairly open minded approach to beekeeping styles , often mentioning alternatives without going into depth (suitable for beginners). If I had not already got quite a collection of books at this level I might have got a copy for myself.

I would therefore recommend it as a first/second book on beekeeping.

I didnt try to compare it to my haynes landrover manual which my dad used many many years ago to recondition and fit a new engine!

Got it. Think its great. Wish I had it last year. Used advice from this book even before I finished reading it. Not so in depth as Ted Hooper or Clive de Brun. A much simpler way of explaining things and bang up to date. I was wondering how to unite hives with a single sheet of newspaper as they are all tabloids now. Book said join two with masking tape. Easy. Buy it now. If you quote the reference from Bee Craft you even get a discount.

bee book

thanks for your replys just got my today

I'm wondering if a beehive might be one of the few occasions when the fabled phrase "reassembly is the reverse of disassembly" actually is true :)

James

This was my first book best book so far (only read a few and skimmed a few pdf ebooks on bees bear in mind I'm a beginner) for me as it's laid out clearly, font isn't too small and you have pictures to compliant the text in it.

I'm wondering if a beehive might be one of the few occasions when the fabled phrase "reassembly is the reverse of disassembly" actually is true :)

But if you did just precisely reverse the assembly, you'd squish rather a lot of bees. Plonking the bits straight down was one of my mistakes!

I bought the Haynes Bee manual a fewe weeks ago well presented and with excellent colour photos. A few glaring errors though:

They Queen colour markings on page 80 are wrong, this year ends in a 1 and the colour should be white, not Yellow as stated in the book.

There are also a few weighty problems on page 106 they state that a national deep frame holds 11kg(5lb) and a full shallow super holds 55Kg(25lb), think they have got their kgs to lbs mixed up.

Last edited:
Every time I used the Haynes Manual to work on cars I had bits left over when I reassembled. Hope that doesn't happen to the bees.

I shouldn't really take the micky. My dad wrote a Haynes manual some years back. It's actually one relating to vehicles, too, not the "Haynes Baby Manual" (yes, there really is one) or anything like that.

James

Peter,

Looks right to me not wrong. Full National deep FRAME 5lbs, and a full super (box of frames not single frame) could be 25lb. Oops! Just re-read your post - see what you mean about the kg bit!!! Sorry.

Meg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back