Bee basic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine come from here > thebeeshop co uk
£47.50 and it's a nice fit. The IWBKA recomends them, so my partner bought this for me :)
I got the fencing type.

I've got a stiff cotton astronaut one from Bee Basic and it seems really good (I haven't given it many hours yet, though).

I'd give the company a big thumbs up for service too.

FG

I have one ! i'm only in sandiacre if you want a look at it i am more than happy to pop it up !

It's OK for the price ! not what i would call top of the range, my hive tool has broken the pocket stiching, the velcro on the pockets is looking a bit worn.
But it is two years old and looks like it will last another two so is looking at costing about £ 20 a year.
Not bad value ?

PH my first suit was of that design with regard the veil. I have switched to an astronaut hood. Can't comment on the quality of the suit.

Pro's of the all round veil is it is more airy and cooler but I had to wear a baseball cap to hold front rim up. Main reason for changing hood type though was the impact of wind which could and did lift the hood and veil away from my head and suddenly your face was up against the veil, not good.

First thoughts on the Sherriff hood. Fits and sits nicely, lies on your back when not in use but .... I have sticky out ears! and they are too close, well pushing against the fabric, have gone safe and wearing a beany!

Aside from the wind issue (which was why I changed design) I think I prefered the allround.

Pete, I've got exactly the same suit, to replace a rather worn budget suit also from Bee basic. I think its a great suit for the price. Never had a problem with the veil blowing in my face (unlike some fencing type ones I've put up with in the past) and I prefer this type of veil for the visibility all round that it gives.
When I bought it at Stonleigh, the guy at the Beebasic stand told me to send them my old suit and they'd see if they could repair the veil. Came back within a week fully repaired at no cost!!!!....so a big thumbs up from me.

Roy

The fencing type form Sherrifs has the same issue for me getting my ears stung in windy weather. I had terrific service from then in the past and they even gave me a proto type to try for free at one point.

My current suit is from SA and is very good with the exception of very short sleeves and I have long arms which makes gloves an issue for me.

Note to the gloveless fans taking off honey last night was "interesting" to say the least and I was well stung through the suit but my fault for not putting on a thick shirt under the PPE in really poor weather.

PH

The fencing type form Sherrifs has the same issue for me getting my ears stung in windy weather. I had terrific service from then in the past and they even gave me a proto type to try for free at one point.

My current suit is from SA and is very good with the exception of very short sleeves and I have long arms which makes gloves an issue for me.

Note to the gloveless fans taking off honey last night was "interesting" to say the least and I was well stung through the suit but my fault for not putting on a thick shirt under the PPE in really poor weather.

PH

I removed another 60lbs from two hives last night, just as it started to rain.... Received a single but nonetheless effective hit approximately 3cm south of one's gentlemans apparatus. ( this is the second time I have been targetted there). I wear jeans and a smock, but given their increasing accuracy I may be investing in an all in one.:coolgleamA:

I gave up on the smock caper some 2 years after I began.. A joke sorry to say.

PH

I removed another 60lbs from two hives last night, just as it started to rain.... Received a single but nonetheless effective hit approximately 3cm south of one's gentlemans apparatus. ( this is the second time I have been targetted there). I wear jeans and a smock, but given their increasing accuracy I may be investing in an all in one.:coolgleamA:

YEEEOUCH! I've been targetted in the same place 3 weeks in a row; top of the left thigh. My partner pointed out that, regardless of the 2 layers of clothing, if the clothing's tight-fitting, I'm going to be zapped. Fair point. Time to pull out some large baggies, or buy the all-in-one suit :(

Our carpenter/friend in the next village recounts his childhood with bees as a not exactly positive experience....the pinnacle being when his dad lifted a hive over a barbed wire fence, ripped his trousers somewhere near the top of the leg and in trying to release the impalement dropped the unsecured hive.

Allowing for story teller's exaggeration the 40 stings to the groin area produced a lot of hilarity at the cottage hospital.

Allowing for story teller's exaggeration the 40 stings to the groin area produced a lot of hilarity at the cottage hospital.

Well, it would, with cottagers . . . let's not let the detail get in the way of a large amount of exageration . . . :)

Back