Bee Basic Astro Suits...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
We have BeeBasic Astro microfibre suits. Can't fault the fabric, suit fit (M and L), "build quality" but wondered if anyone else has the Medium size?

Now I have an average head on an average neck and square shoulders and am within the height params for this suit BUT the hood section is just too short (as in the stays). It is off my face but whatever I do to remould the head section it sits on my head leaving no clearance and touches the back too easily when bending even slightly forward. This lead to zero protection at the back when dealing with our "hive from hell" who got me several times in the back of the head in two places.

Dealing with this through BeeBasic...slow but friendly; I tried to get them to measure the hood zip (hoping the wrong size had been fitted) but they have eventually sent another suit to compare...which is as bad as the old one (but the zip isn't as good quality IMHO).

So the saga continues. Basically the stays are an inch too short....any close brushes with bees and it's second nature and ergonomically daft too raise my shoulders to compensate. Anyone else use a M astro suit regularly and noticed this? The hood is markedly smaller than the L and much smaller than my 8yo daughter's suit from BB wear :(.

Constructive comments please :banghead:. Otherwise it's a great product.

just out of interest do you wear a baseball cap to keep it away from the face?

We changed our suits recently to another supplier from beebasic but not because of the hood not fitting correctly. From your description sounds like you have the wrong hood to the wrong suit IMO.

I must dig out my spare that I purchased a year before and see what that fits like.

I did wear a cap last week as my head was a little sore from the last sortie and found it much better.

No, I never wear hats ever...except hiking abroad in blistering heat ;). But the face isn't an issue at all....it's the top touching the top of may head and the back being too close to the back. My partner's suit (a large) has obvious clearance of at least an inch (and he has a neck :D).

And I agree 'Wizard...the length of the large hood in terms of the length of the stays would be fine!

Latest posts

Back