Bearding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTrueman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is a pic of my queenless hive, well it has a new virgin in it.

The picture was taken a 9.45pm

My question is, is this bearding likely to be due to space or temperature?

Most likely the entrance block.

I would remove it myself.

PH

Thanks for the replies!

Yep it's a mesh floor.

Whilst I am talking about the hive I have noticed some rather silly bumble bees trying to gain entry. Is this normal!

The hive is very low down due to not being ready for the AS split and I dont want to build a stand or mess with the hive whilst she maybe doing her mating flights etc.

you will get used to seeing bumble bees, wasps, possibly hornets, ants etc others i have forgotten to mention, trying to get into your hives from time to time.

i pulled out a frame last weekend and there bang on the stores was a little bumble bee, she had obviously done well to get there so i left her to it.

I dont want to build a stand or mess with the hive whilst she maybe doing her mating flights etc.

Could you maybe have a virgin in the hive ?
I have seen bee's beared waiting for the return of a virgin from a mating flight.

The fronts of some hives are covered in bee's after dark ,more on the outside than in,nothing to worry about.
Admin,a virgin out on mating flights at 9.45 pm, perhaps she went to a party after.

Some of my bees were out on the front the other night when it was hot and they have mesh floors. And why not I was also out on my patio looking at the stars?
Better than the bees that just turned up to a hive in the garden and moved in. They tend to sit around the front during the day instead of foraging. I suspect they are a cast because of their numbers and wonder whether there is a virgin in there .....one of the few in this town! :)

And dont forget the slugs....yuk. I have had a few of those early on in season when it was still really wet.

Latest posts

Back