Be keeping beginner here :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4390evans

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Everyone,

I was looking into bee keeping last year but with doing the garden etc I never got had the time to build a beehive. I really want to do it this year and want to build a beehive asap with it being early in the year so I can put it out and let it get rid of any woody smells it might have and blend with nature. I have some lats of strong pine wood bout 7" thick by 1" wide Im looking for some help on finding a easy hive to build.

Has anyone got any ideas???

Thanks Guys

Jen x

Welcome to the forum Jen.

you are looking to start out at just the right time, it gives you a chance to get all your kit sorted before the spring when you get your bees.

thornes are having a sale starting on Saturday and Paynes have theirs started already so you may want to look at getting a hive from one of them. If you want to build your own hive then have a look in the DIY section and im sure there are some good plans of top bar hives.

hope this helps

doug

Hi Jen - and welcome!

The general view is that it's best to start with two hives - so if one goes wrong, you still have a base to build on.

In that case, why not get a 'bees on a budget' kit from one of the major suppliers - or even a flat pack one from an independent supplier, like the one I favour in Tideswell? Then, when you put it together, you'll have a template for the critical things like bee space.

Whatever you do, enjoy your beekeeping!

Dusty

As someone who built his own hive the last thing I would recommend a new beekeeper do is build their own hive .... join your local association and have a look at what they have before you start doing/buying anything. Good luck whatever you decide to do ... it's great fun and there's always this forum when you need some conflicting advice !

Hi Jen - and welcome!

The general view is that it's best to start with two hives - so if one goes wrong, you still have a base to build on.

In that case, why not get a 'bees on a budget' kit from one of the major suppliers - or even a flat pack one from an independent supplier, like the one I favour in Tideswell? Then, when you put it together, you'll have a template for the critical things like bee space.

Whatever you do, enjoy your beekeeping!

Dusty

Good advice. I would suggest a complete flatpack plywood 14 x 12 hive from frag planet as an economic starting point and you then have everything your bees need to be housed in out of the weather. Just don't put too much faith in their (in my opinion) flimsy plastic crown board although it is at least a pattern to start and you could copy it in perspex. Add to this box, frames and foundation plus bees and your at the start of a VERY steep learning curve.
Make sure you note the sizes of every component if you want to build more kit yourself although unless you are in possession of the right tools it is probably just as cheap to buy flatpack.
Have a spare empty hive with frames and foundation on hand for swarms so you are always one step ahead.
Breeze blocks on paving slabs make great hive stands.
I cannot stress enough the value of joining a local beekeeping association before you try handling bees. Going in blind is definitely not advisable.

The only easy hive to build is a top bar hive :iagree:, conventional framed hive construction will be far to complex to build maintaining bee space etc. As stated before do a web search for topbar beehive plans and you will find a number of them free of charge on the web. However using a top bar hive needs to be researched as its management is different to a famed hive and introducing bees to it (unless a swarm or by baiting) can present challenges :calmdown:

If you want to keep bees in a conventional hive I would suggest buying a hive and keeping the wood for the future as you will have a model to follow if you are confident enough to try to build one.

Plans are on the net to enable any competent woodworker to them - and the frames.

Goggle dave cushman for dimensions and just make sure bee space is conserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Rab (oliver90) says, it can be done. And I would always encourage people to have a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Jen.
Knowledge and research are the key to happy beekeeping !
My advice is as always with new Beekeepers
No1 don't rush into obtaining equipment and bees! It's easy to let enthusiasm bowl you over .
No 2 join a society close by you and get to know the members !
No3 work with someone else's bees for at least a full season . This will ensure that you are compatible with bees and give you an idea of the work and commitment required.
Finally , a bad start can ruin a lovely hobby that can be pursued into old age . A good start, a little patience and a good grasp of the fundamentals could commence a life time passion for a most fascinating, industrious and intriguing insect.

I cannot stress too much how too little fore planning can overwhelm a newbie to the point of giving up before properly starting!
This my advice only and certainly not an attempt at being a wet blanket , it's just that I've seen the wrong approach being the greatest reason for the loss of potentially great Beekeepers :)
Regards VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I salute all of you . I am a beginner and I have 5 hive. This year i take 80 kg honey..,arbutus unedo honey all bio....I am happy....

I salute all of you . I am a beginner and I have 5 hive. This year i take 80 kg honey..,arbutus unedo honey all bio....I am happy....

Welcome, edi!

I hope you enjoy our Forum. Please do tell us about beekeeping in Albania.

Have a very good 2014 beekeeping.

Dusty

Strawberry tree ,quite common in Ireland I believe.
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back