Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Did your local BBKA association contact you to ask how you would vote over pesticide endorsments.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
No and they did not contact anyone else in my asso, but we had no hope with the delegate we had.

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
My association did not contact its membership but the committee did discuss the proposals forwarded by the Exc com. of the BBKA, and voted in accordance with the outcome from that committee meeting.

The poll is only allowing one version of contacting its members, but what happens when the committee decide the issue without contacting the membership?

Regards;

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I voted yes. But not every single member got consulted directly. More of an unbiased represesentative sample I would say. It was also discussed at county exec.
Imperfect but better than some I dare say.

tony350i 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
i voted' I am not a member of the BBKA

why don't we start our own version of the bbka.

Last edited:

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
I voted no. However I am not a member of an Association.

PH

mikeyspikey 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Our rep. put it into the local newsletter outlining all the options and saying which he favoured. It was voted on at the local committee meeting.
One thought occours, although a tad late, it could be put on the AGM of every local association, asking for a vote. I think this would need to go to the exec as a motion and then passed, but it would be a lot more democratic.

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I contacted an individual from the Hampshire Association regarding this subject, and part of the response is below :

The BBKA/ Bayer Sponsorship and the subject of pesticides and bees was raised at the June HBA meeting following forwarding, to Association Secretaries and Delegates to HBA, of a number of e-mails on the subject that were circulating on the internet.

Association Delegates were asked to raise the subject in their Association and and to present their Association view at HBA Delegate meeting in September so that HBA could formulate a view for presentation to BBKA at the AGM.

So from this it would appear that my own Association had their heads up their arses.

tony350i 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
So from this it would appear that my own Association had their heads up their arses.
---------------------------

well that must make brushing the old teeth difficult :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-014

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was not consulted by our rep. but perhaps he thinks some people's views count more than others.

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I voted NO but as I am an individual member of the BBKA I have no Association and therefore NO REPRESENTATION.:mad:
Does anyone know, or know how I can find out, how many "individual" members there are? I would imagine there are quite a few.
Mike

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
yes this bothers me too.

am I right in thinking that as an Association member, local association I would get a reduced sub to the BBKA?

If that is the case then as a full payment member how is it I am effectively disenfranchised as in I cannot influence the BBKA at all?

If this is the case then their voting system needs radically overhauling.

PH

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Hi Poly hive,

This is as I understand the system at the moment.
If I am wrong in any of my assumptions then please would someone straighten me out? Ta.

If your association is affiliated to the BBKA then paying your subscription to your local association you automatically pay to become a member of the BBKA.
If an association is affiliated to the BBKA then it?s my understanding that they will not allow any person to join the association and not become a member of BBKA, so you can not just join the association by its self. Does that make sense?

As for becoming an individual member of the BBKA and not a member of any association, then I do not know how much the subscription is. I think it?s more than an affiliated member pays through their association.

To try and influence the BBKA in changing their policies I think there are a couple of ways one might go about this.
1. As a member of the BBKA there is nothing stopping you writing to the chairman and expressing your thoughts.
2. Approach your ADM delegate to write on your behalf and others, to the effect that a group are not happy with the way the voting went and give the reasons.
3. Get your chairman or President to write on behalf of some members about the outcome of the proposals that have just taken place.
(The person writing the letter does not have to agree with what the membership is complaining about, but does so as his position as chairman of whatever). They are representing their associations members.

The whole voting system is corrupt as the ordinary association member is not asked their opinion or even asked to vote for or against a proposition. So how can the BBKA Exc committee accept this as a true record of votes?

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Thanks.

so for my hard earned ?33 I get some disease cover and that is it. Not the best of deals is it?

I was brought up to believe that he who pays the piper at the least is allowed to pick a tune.

I was astonished further to find out that Beecraft is a separate bill on top. With SBA membership The Scottish Beekeeper comes with the sub.

The more I discover about this organisation the less I approve of it. Underhand dealings with the companies is but a symptom of a far deeper malaise, and that is contempt for the membership. A very dangerous path to pursue.

What doth pride come before?

PH

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
My Association membership renewal form is still on the shelf, when you have a forum such as this, and you make friends who also keep bees, some of whom may do this commercially, the need to be under an association wing lessens, unless of course you enjoy meeting up and going to talks and group apiary meets which is fair enough.

Personally i have had more help, guidance and hands on assistance from people on here than my own local association.

So in just my second year of Beekeeping i am on the verge of turning away from those organisations who claim to be friendly, supportive, and above all there for the Beekeeper. I wonder how many others do this when they wake up.

David P 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
7- 2 poly langs the other in process of changing
Well my subs are paid for the year and i'm in the fortunate/unfortunate (delete as appropriate) of liking my local association even though I am increasing coming to dislike the BBKA.
Come to think of it i am paying for my local council and the Government and i dont think much of them either. But until i have won the lottery and can buy myself an island somewhere and declare independance i guess im stuck with the lot of them.
I guess ite really a case of one battle doesnt make a war and maybe nexttime things will be different lets just hope that bayer hasnt wiped out all insect life before then.

David

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Bcrazy could not agree with you more,corrupt is the word,even though some think its democratic,well perhaps it is, about as much as Zimbabwe is or, perhaps a bit less. Don't forget those at the top need a bit of cash for wine,partys and holidays. The welfare of bee's and nature are the last thing on there mind, you can't do too much for a good boss,but you can do to much for a bad Bu**er (bayer)

mikethebee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I wish you writers on yer would say what you really mean, and not beat around the bush,-- GET TO THE POINT-- If you belive the BBKA and BCraft are currupt and taking back handers (which thay are) then tell the bloody world Say what you mean and show you mean it.
Dont join and complain after its to late YOU PAID A BUNCH OF BLOODY THIVES AGAIN and thay laff at you as cowerdly bunch of W investers.
ALL THE BEST MIKE

Latest posts