Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
The actual vote was 94% of Associations present (representing 98% of the memberships represented) voted for the motion .

It will end up like voting to ban bee imports. :devilish:
And was it true they voted against one member one vote, or for?

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs
And was it true they voted against one member one vote, or for?

NO.

At Annual Delegates Meetings, the normal voting is one vote per Delegate representing each Association. But a delgate can ask for a Membership Vote where the votes are based on the BBKA members per Association.

There was a proposal to change the way the Membership vote worked: it was complex and failed to get the required majority.

holmbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
There is a government petition on this with over 33,00 signatures so far. Petition number 569214. Please support.

Hachi 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I'm a involuntary member of the BBKA because I have to by being a member of my Assoc and I have never been asked my opinion on anything such as this. So if you think about it, the BBKA say they represent 26000 but the reality is, if all associations are doing the same, that number drops to the number of committee members as a maximum. So what, the actual number the BBKA represent is probably 10% of that total.

Nige.Coll 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
some + a few more
I'm a involuntary member of the BBKA because I have to by being a member of my Assoc and I have never been asked my opinion on anything such as this. So if you think about it, the BBKA say they represent 26000 but the reality is, if all associations are doing the same, that number drops to the number of committee members as a maximum. So what, the actual number the BBKA represent is probably 10% of that total.
Some associations are open about the ADM and do ask their members their opinion on the matters being voted on, sadly those associations are a small minority. Most associations the members have no idea who the representative is and the votes are the opinion of the person with the bum on the seat at the meeting.
If something is voted for at an ADM and the committee doesn't like it, it can be ignored.
The option for going for a so called membership vote is normally employed when the larger associations want to control a vote as the number of votes goes on membership then.

Apple 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Me too... as a County member without the insurance*

But we do not discuss matters pertaining to the BBKA on this forum... unless it impinges on individuals beekeeping activities.... Shirley????

Bear 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think it was more to do with the post war propagand(mistruths) peddled by the cane sugar producer at the end of WW2 to discourage people from buying European beet sugar .
I was told by a beekeeper (67) that he would not feed his bees sugar syrup made from sugar beet as the sugar beet had been treated with neonicotinoids and his reason was there would be (although minute) neonicotinoids in the syrup that the bees would ingest and they would get infected / poisoned with neonicotinoids.

Little_bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I was told by a beekeeper (67) that he would not feed his bees sugar syrup made from sugar beet as the sugar beet had been treated with neonicotinoids and his reason was there would be (although minute) neonicotinoids in the syrup that the bees would ingest and they would get infected / poisoned with neonicotinoids.
Or the neonics can get banned and his sugar beet can be treated/poisoned by any of a number of different pesticides, with wide-ranging detrimental side-effects, depending on what the researchers are looking for at a particular time.
(Unless he wants to go organic??)

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Some associations are open about the ADM and do ask their members their opinion on the matters being voted on, sadly those associations are a small minority. Most associations the members have no idea who the representative is and the votes are the opinion of the person with the bum on the seat at the meeting.
If something is voted for at an ADM and the committee doesn't like it, it can be ignored.
The option for going for a so called membership vote is normally employed when the larger associations want to control a vote as the number of votes goes on membership then.
My association it open and delegates are aware of the feelings of the membership.
I must caution that they are more than just messengers . Should they vote against the general opinion on any radical motions , thei term of office wouldn’t last beyond the next AGM elections .
we also get regular updates , monthly emails with magazine in pdf .
we conduct Zoom, virtual meeting and lectures even .
four of our members are past presidents Of the BBKA !
I reckon we are well informed !
The more informed the less likely you are to fall victim of the conspiracy theorists .

Bear 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Or the neonics can get banned and his sugar beet can be treated/poisoned by any of a number of different pesticides, with wide-ranging detrimental side-effects, depending on what the researchers are looking for at a particular time.
(Unless he wants to go organic??)
He doesn’t grow anything. That is the reason he gave me for not using sugar beet sugar to his bees years ago.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
It’s an urban myth at best sugars probably 1 of the most tested foods on the planet not only is it consumed in its raw/basic form it’s added to a huge percentage of foods we consume. Ask your friend to point to 1 instance of sugar feeding leading to neo nics poisoning. Also rather like the age old question of wax foundation bringing in brood disease, it’s a non event.

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
But we do not discuss matters pertaining to the BBKA on this forum... unless it impinges on individuals beekeeping activities.... Shirley????
I don't see why not. Just because this forum was created by a dissatisfied bunch of rebels a few years ago, does not mean they can censor our topics of discussion.

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I don't see why not. Just because this forum was created by a dissatisfied bunch of rebels a few years ago, does not mean they can censor our topics of discussion.
Well said !
maybe a name change is in order !
Ideas please?

Latest posts