Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

wojciech 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I saw a suggestion on this forum some months ago that the BBKA was going to ditch its' financial sponsorship by the agro-chemical multinational giants. I have'nt seen any confirmation of this - does anyone have any further information or was this just hopeful kite flying ?

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I think they were just going to let the sponsorship wither on the vine....so i read some place. How long it takes to wither is another story i suppose,depends if they keep watering it.

wojciech 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think they were just going to let the sponsorship wither on the vine....so i read some place. How long it takes to wither is another story i suppose,depends if they keep watering it.

That hardly addresses the ethics of accepting money for their support for the products manufactured by their sponsors.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Sorry ....what would you like me to do about it then.........perhaps i can help you. Are you after some kind of compensation to do with ethics.

Last edited:

Ouarda 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
well I suppose that explains lack of research into natural disease control!!!!!:puke:

wojciech 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Sorry ....what would you like me to do about it then.........perhaps i can help you. Are you after some kind of compensation to do with ethics.
I was'nt after any compensation - I'd rather naively hoped that the organisation that is supposed to speak for beekeepers would start acting objectively and ethically.

m100 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Enough
I was'nt after any compensation - I'd rather naively hoped that the organisation that is supposed to speak for beekeepers would start acting objectively and ethically.
They take money from big chemical companies, endorse known 'safe pesticides' and let them print "BBKA approved bee friendly product" on the packaging.

There is really nothing fundamentally wrong with that if the science is sound.

...it's everything that is associated with that money, what it achieves, that they tried to keep it undercover and that many local and county associations don't have a democratic say - or more precisely they do, but certain vested interests ensure that thousands of new members appear to know bugger all about this sponsorship and so year after year this grubby underhand business continues.

There have been 7000 new members of the BBKA since 2006, and it would appear that every one of them, yes every single bloody one of them supports the BBKA taking dirty cash.

:confused:

wojciech 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
They take money from big chemical companies, endorse known 'safe pesticides' and let them print "BBKA approved bee friendly product" on the packaging.
There is really nothing fundamentally wrong with that if the science is sound.

I'm afraid that I do'nt agree - there has to be a contradiction between the BBKA using its' standing as representing beekeepers' interests to endorse products as being safe for bees and then pocketing a fee for doing that. Surely that action undermines the creditability, integrity and standing of the organisation.

I regret that since finding out about this unsavoury arrangement I find myself reading articles in BBKA News telling us how harmless insecticides are to bees and find myself thinking about the research that used to be pumped out by the tobacco companies telling the world how healthy cigarettes were as an universal tonic. If I had'nt become aware of this relationship between the BBKA and the agro-chemical companies I would have been tempted to take these studies being published by the BBKA at face value.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
It's appalling on all levels - noone involved in this shameful episode should dare ever show their face in public again.
To allow an ostensibly independent organisation for bees and beekeepers to accept sponsorship from a maker of beekeeping equipment should raise serious questions as to that association's independence and ongoing credibility, but to accept sponsorship from chemical companies defies comprehension....
Add into this sorry debacle the fact that the deals were done in secret, were only made public thanks to an eagle-eyed whistleblower, and then there was a long campaign to firstly attempt to hush up the deals, and latterly a use of Mugabe-style "democracy" to strongarm the continuing scurrilous liaisons...... :puke:
So far all I've heard is that they claim that they're going to allow the "contracts to expire" - as to how long that'll take, noone appears to be keen to announce......
Tarring and feathering would be too kind...........

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I see a good part of the BBKA News I received Saturday is set aside for trying to justify their links with the makers of wildlife poisons. Talk about an organization 'losing its way'.

And crikey, they are even advertising for an 'Operations Director'! I thought the BBKA was a charity and not a corporation listed on the London Stock Exchange.

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
PENNY ON THE DRUM time again!
Soo predictable.
:D:D:D:D

John Wilkinson

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
you carry on ostriching, I instead subscribe to -"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" :coolgleamA:

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
you carry on ostriching, I instead subscribe to -"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" :coolgleamA:
Joining the army then ?
I think not !!!

John Wilkinson
Ps Why do I (against my better judgment ) feed the troll??

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
I know the feeling........

wojciech 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Corporate Sponsors sought by BBKA

I see a good part of the BBKA News I received Saturday is set aside for trying to justify their links with the makers of wildlife poisons. Talk about an organization 'losing its way'.

And crikey, they are even advertising for an 'Operations Director'! I thought the BBKA was a charity and not a corporation listed on the London Stock Exchange.
It is interesting that the email circulated to BBKA members via County secs emphasises the role of the General Secretary / Operations Director in handling the "challenges .... of Corporate Sponsors....." , as does the release in BBKA News. Hardly symptomatic of a policy of walking away from the link with agro-chemical companies. Besides, when did the membership sanction a policy of having "Corporate Sponsors", regardless of their activities ?

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
it's clutter all to do with the welfare of bees and beekeepers, and a great deal to do with the self-aggrandising schemings of a few ego-tripping "suits" seeking to make themselves feel "important", and yet another reason why the present hierarchy should be unseated asap, full democracy restored, and the association returned to what it should be - an organisation that represents first and foremost, ALL bees and beekeepers in the UK, not acting primarily as a lobby group for any bunch of poison manufacturers willing to cross their palms with silver....

Using modern techniques, like the internet, present fees could be halved, and service much improved without a whiff of corporate sponsorship......

Last edited:

gavin 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
... and the association returned to what it should be - an organisation that represents first and foremost, ALL bees and beekeepers in the UK ....
You sure about that Martin?! And there was me thinking that it made decisions at meetings of delegates from English BKAs ....

G.