Bbka mess up again.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemo

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 - 7
I see the inept BBKA have gone and done it again.
Commissioned a new site revamp and launch which is not even fit for purpose.

I tried to get into the forum. You used to be able to get in and not post if you weren't a member.
Now you have to sign in.
Somebody tells me that the forum page now gives you a link to the BBKA FB page

I've had to re-register. Which is very easy.

I was of the same opinion until a few months ago.

However I have found it very useful for local purchases, to wit a dining table and chairs plus sideboard for an amazingly low price.

Also it's groups facility is very good for local Assoc, the SBA and various other parties.

PH

I tried to get into the forum. You used to be able to get in and not post if you weren't a member.

There was a message from Roger the Dodger to say that the forum (not the facebook thing) would be down for about 48 hours.

I tried to get into the forum.

Why?

Some wag on FB asked how the moderators are going to chat with each other now the forum is down...

The BBKA forum was killed by switching to knowingly crap software 6 years ago at the last redesign, with heavy-handed moderation just to be sure. Now they have two(!) BBKA FB pages I don't see the need to resurrect a BBKA forum too.

One less feature to manage on the website, which will help them focus on delivering a useful but slimmed-down site, which is surely all to the good?

I see the inept BBKA have gone and done it again.
Commissioned a new site revamp and launch which is not even fit for purpose.

A bit harsh. True, the big picture at the top of every page and the bullseye logo animation in the top left are distracting, but it's already a damn site better than the old site.

The joke used to be that if you didn't want a document to be read by anybody, put it on the BBKA website... somewhere.

Remember the click...click...click...click...click... to navigate down to, e.g. a module 5 syllabus? Now it's just Services - Courses and Education and then take your pick, there they all are on one page.

Less is more in my book :)

Why?

Some wag on FB asked how the moderators are going to chat with each other now the forum is down...

The BBKA forum was killed by switching to knowingly crap software 6 years ago at the last redesign, with heavy-handed moderation just to be sure. Now they have two(!) BBKA FB pages I don't see the need to resurrect a BBKA forum too.

One less feature to manage on the website, which will help them focus on delivering a useful but slimmed-down site, which is surely all to the good?

Two Face book pages? I can only find two Module pages and the general one? are you referring to the bogus one set up by Gerrard Rangley?

Two Face book pages? I can only find two Module pages and the general one? are you referring to the bogus one set up by Gerrard Rangley?

That is number three... :eek:

Looking at FB, it seems that the membership database is not ready so you can view the members area after registering without being a member. I guess at some time in the future the database will be added and more stuff will happen. Yes the s/w was rubbish. If the forum is to be killed it would be good to know one way or another. I guess it will link to the new database if it is retained as will Ark.
So is there an Ark database (separate entry required), new website database, old website/forum database and the NEW growing database which may not have BBKA members in it?

Last edited:
The BBKA forum was killed by switching to knowingly crap software 6 years ago at the last redesign, with heavy-handed moderation just to be sure. Now they have two(!) BBKA FB pages

..... with heavy handed moderation and loads of members 'culled' because they didn't toe the party line.

..... with heavy handed moderation and loads of members 'culled' because they didn't toe the party line.

I remember that. Taken from the Chinese Communist Party manual I believe.

Edit: or the Borg one. "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated"

However I have found it very useful for local purchases, to wit a dining table and chairs plus sideboard for an amazingly low price.

S’pose the b*ka has to be useful for something! Not much else, I fear.:)

S’pose the b*ka has to be useful for something! Not much else, I fear.:)

Must join... need some furniture as bailiffs took last lot away!:icon_204-2:

Mytten da

That old chestnut!
I remember that phase - lots of trolls and people being awkward. You see the odd awkward post here and people have been banned here too so all forums (fora?) have that issue from time to time.
However that was donkeys years ago and before the s/w was changed to something that was rubbish. Almost designed to encourage people to leave!

That old chestnut!
I remember that phase - lots of trolls and people being awkward. You see the odd awkward post here and people have been banned here too so all forums (fora?) have that issue from time to time.
However that was donkeys years ago and before the s/w was changed to something that was rubbish. Almost designed to encourage people to leave!

I joined the BBKA in 2010 and this forum round about then. At that time neonicotinoids were THE issue and the BBKA taking money from their makers. Most of the more fervent opponents of neonics were banned from every forum as they had no sense of proportion, ability to argue logically and were often rude and personal. (The fact that they may eventually be proved correct due to scientific studies shows how their approach ruined a good cause).

The BBKA forum's main problem was the moderators brooked NO criticism of the BBKA whatsoever. Even when it was fair, reasoned and correct.

That old chestnut!

The phase I was referring to was during the former regime, when trustees were moderators. I was not able to expose the corrupt affairs of the BBKA there.

Back