BBKA membership

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
Does anyone know what individual membership of BBKA costs with 5 hives?

Thank you, yes the BDI is the important bit, public liability and all that!

Thank you, yes the BDI is the important bit, public liability and all that!
I think that Public liability and BDI are two separate things - BDI is only to cover you fron destruction of equipment as a result of foulbrood. and is optional after the first free three.

Your local association must sign up to BDI for you to have any BDI insurance. Some, like mine, do not belong to the BDI scheme. No ordinary members are insured for BDI. The reason given by MBBKA is that the subs for extra hives above the 3 if your association is a scheme member have to be collected by the association. Therefore as club members your first 2 hives are not insured. I pursued this thoroughly a couple of years ago and have BDI insurance for my hives directly from BDI. I think the minimum number of hives is 40 so I include some friends in my submission. The cost for 40 hives was about £80 initially but the non claim discounts are excellent. I believe last year I paid about £55.
I was not initially aware that my association was not a scheme member. Other members were under the impression that BBKA membership covered their first 2 hives. Is does not. BDI insurance is an add on scheme.

Your local association must sign up to BDI for you to have any BDI insurance. Some, like mine, do not belong to the BDI scheme. No ordinary members are insured for BDI. The reason given by MBBKA is that the subs for extra hives above the 3 if your association is a scheme member have to be collected by the association. Therefore as club members your first 2 hives are not insured. I pursued this thoroughly a couple of years ago and have BDI insurance for my hives directly from BDI. I think the minimum number of hives is 40 so I include some friends in my submission. The cost for 40 hives was about £80 initially but the non claim discounts are excellent. I believe last year I paid about £55.
I was not initially aware that my association was not a scheme member. Other members were under the impression that BBKA membership covered their first 2 hives. Is does not. BDI insurance is an add on scheme.
curious to know how you can insure someone else's property against loss or damage, most policies I have seen ( and that's a lot ) in over 45 years in business you have to own the loss.
This is from a current policy being offered
"Cover:- We will indemnify You in respect of Damage occurring during the Period of Insurance to Buildings Hives General Contents and Stock used in connection with Bee-keeping which belongs to You or for which You are legally responsible provided the Damage occurs within the Geographical Limits as detailed in the Schedule"
Just putting it out there to avoid possible disappointment

Hi patrick
I take your point. But this is bee disease insurance I am talking about. I am insuring my friends hives, with their permission, against losses due to foul brood. We are making a joint submission to achieve the minimum necessary for the cover. If I did not I would be paying for 15 non-existent hives in order to cover mine. My friend and I work jointly on raising queens and nucs and swap bees and equipment all the time. We move between each others apiaries and co-operate.
Speaking to BDI the situation was explained. They seemed perfectly happy. I am after all insuring hives on 7 sites rather than 6.

Latest posts

Back